Ribbon On Wedding Cake

Decorating By supersabster Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm by Rylan

supersabster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supersabster Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 7

Hello!

I`m doing a wedding cake in 2 weeks and the bride would like brown ribbon around the bottom of all of her tiers. How do I get the ribbon to a) stick to the cake and b) not bleed into the white buttercream icing???? Please help me icon_cry.gif Thank you! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 7

I've only done ribbon on fondant cakes - but I've heard you lay wax paper on the back side of the ribbon, then lay a tea towel over and iron it. It will put a waxy coating on the back of the ribbon so it doesn't absorb the fat from the icing.

supersabster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supersabster Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! Any other helpful tips at all? Any suggestions on how to stick the ribbon to the actual cake? It will be covered in buttercream icing icon_smile.gif Thanks all icon_biggrin.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 7

You could use little blobs of buttercream to stick the ribbon on. I used BC to stick a ribbon on a fondant cake and it stayed on.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 7

Hi super, I just finished a weding cake that had 5 thin ribbon stipes (spaced out) on each tier. The thing I ended up doing was piping a thin strip of piping gel around where each ribbon was to be, then layed the ribbon against it carefully and smoothing it as I went. I wiped off any excess gel carefully with my finger. It really worked out great because the bc had crusted and wiping off any excess gel was easy. Before the gel dries you can slightly move the ribbon if it is not quite stright then after the gel dries the ribbon really does not move on the cake (or bleed). I had a hard time finding the back of the cake where the ribbon ends had met. I had decided to put a small fondant flower with a pearl head pin in the center to hid the ribbon ends. I did that because that is what I had planned but I really don't think it was necessary because I like said after the gel dried it was hard to see where the ribbon had ended and plus it wasn't going anywhere. I believe the gel did make the ribbon slightly darker after absorbing through but they all looked the same and dried beautifully. The satin ribbon still looked satiny (?). *The ribbon was stuck nicely to the cake but then again came off nicely without leaving color!

Hope that long explaination helps! thumbs_up.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 7

...edited to say (in my first line) stripes not stipes!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 7

Overlap both ends of the ribbon and put double sided tape at the back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%