My Kids Have Become Cake Connoisseurs!

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm by Texas_Rose

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 4

So, my kids (4 and 6) see me working on cakes all the time and often browse the galleries on here with me, giving me there feedback on what "is a good cake".

My 6 year old son was at a birthday party recently and when he came home his comment was "They had a birthday cake, but it wasn't that good....it was a little dry. And it didn't even have any fondant on it!"

My 4 yo will be turning 5 at the end of the month, so of course, all he is talking about is his cake. His "order" is this: a 3D castle, with Scooby Doo and gang on top of the castle, with fondant knights fighting a battle at the bottom....and if I can fit it in, a pirate ship in the water around the castle icon_eek.gif
I've created little cake monsters!!
Just thought I would share.

3 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 4

LOL...my 2yo is starting to do that too. Her birthday isn't even till April and she's already talking about her cake... She wants carebears on clouds, really big clouds

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 4

My 2 kids (8 and 5) do stuff along the same lines. My daughter watches just was much food network as I do. They always want to "assist" when I'm doing a cake. And by Assist I mean eat my BC,MMF and shaved cake chunks.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 4

My youngest is a cake snob. She'll take a bite of a Walmart cupcake or someone's grocery store cake (at a party) and then throw the rest out. I bought her a cupcake when we were on a little road trip, and she complained the other 50 miles home that the cupcake had tasted like chemicals and I shouldn't have bought it for her (this was when she was 3).

My 7 year old draws designs for cakes all the time. She designed her little sister's birthday cake this year (cake with little turtles in my photos). She can already make flowers out of fondant and she's been begging me to teach her how to make gumpaste roses (which I think I'll do b/c I've got some leftover gumpaste icon_biggrin.gif). It's really neat having a kid who's into my hobby as much as I am.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%