Molding Chocolate

Baking By vickisimpson Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 11:30am by vickisimpson

vickisimpson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickisimpson Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 8

Hi every one
hope all is well
Im looking for a fast and easy recipe for molding chocolate.
have searchrd the web and had no luck.
Hope someone can help
Thank
vicki

7 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 8

Any time I have molded chocolates, I have used candy melts, Mercken's, Nestle's or even Wilton. Not sure of any actual "recipes" so here's a bump for you. icon_smile.gif

vickisimpson Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 8

thanks crissyann
Ill give that a try.
vicki

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 8

i use and love toba garrett's recipe for modelling chocolate. it could not be easier. i use plain old garden variety nestle chocolate chips and it always turns out wonderful.

1 pound chocolate
5 fluid ounces (7.5 oz or 210 grams by weight) of light corn syrup. Please note that it isl less for white or milk, see the bottom of post (this is because these have more fat than regular chocolate)

1. Chop chocolate finely (I don't chop, i just use the chips as is) and place in a bowl over simmering water. Stir to melt chocolate evenly. When three-quarters melted, remove from heat. Continue stirring until all the pieces are melted.
2. Use a rubber spatula to stir in the corn syrup. Continue to stir until the chocolate starts to leave the sides of the bowl (about 60 seconds for dark chocolate, 20 to 30 seconds for white or milk chocolate).
3. Scrape chocolate mixture onto plastic wrap and spread out to about 1/2 inch thick. Place another piece of plastic wrap directly on top. Refrigerate or let rest in a cool place for 24 hours.
4. Once aged, cut into smaller pieces. Bring to room temp. Knead thoroughly with the heels of your hands until the chocolate has elasticity and a shiny coat. Do not over-knead or chocolate will get too soft and may get grainy. Wrap in plastic wrap until ready to use.

Keeps for several weeks without refrigeration provided it is placed in a cool, dry area.

For white or milk chocolate, use 1 oz less than you would for dark chocolate. Thus, use 4 fl. oz corn syrup or 6 oz/168 grams by weight for 1 lb. white or milk chocolate.

Diane

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 8

oops, i may have made a mistake! my mind read modeling chocolate....you said molding chocolate. sorry!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 8

I would think they are the same thing. Thanks for posting the recipe, drakegore.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the post modelingdrake, I've needed a decent modeling chocolate recipe. icon_smile.gif

vickisimpson Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 11:30am
post #8 of 8

Diane
You are totally right, that is the recipie I was looking for.
Don't know what I was thinking.
Thank loads
Vicki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%