Planet Cake Course - Worth It??

Decorating By sugarandslice Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 2:13am by lthiele

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:42am
post #1 of 13

I guess this is just for the Australian CCers.
Has anyone done a course at Planet Cake in Sydney? Are they worth it? I'm thinking of doing one but they are sooo expensive I want to be sure it's a good use of my money.
Thanks for any feedback
Emma

12 replies
kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:01am
post #2 of 13

I'm not even close to Australia, but I just received the Planet Cake book in the mail this week. I was so intrigued by the idea of ganache (instead of buttercream) under fondant that I wanted to learn more. I would love to take a hands-on class just focusing on the ganache/fondant, but it's not my money we're talking about, it's yours. Good luck with your decision.

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:32am
post #3 of 13

Emma,

Planet cake run courses in both Sydney and Melbourne.
I have been doing cakes for many years now, and I did the course purely so I could learn about ganache under fondant as everybody was saying it was all the rage.

Whilst the course was a lot of money and I did take away a lot of info I still have the majority of customers wanting buttercream under their cakes.

If you decide to do the course, see if you can get someone to buy it. Tell people prior to doing the course (you will know what the basic shape and decorations are) just get them to pick the colour and this way you offset some of the cost.

HTH

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 13

I think that they are SOOOOO expensive but so are all of their cakes. They have their name and that is what you are paying for. I think you can learn so much from reading, there is so much on you tube and more than enough info on CC.

I guess it depends on what course you are particularly interested in - it is a lot of money to spend.

Good luck with the decision icon_rolleyes.gif

Rhiannon_Scarlett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhiannon_Scarlett Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 13

Hi - Im in Perth, WA & was looking into courses too - but found they are really expensive & arent teaching anything that you cant learn from Google, YouTube, CC & books. If you can get someone to pay then go for it !! icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 13

im just curious how much the course is and how long does it last?

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 13

The is a number of courses - they are all listed on their website - www.planetcakes.com.au.

Some are $1300.00 just for a day !

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 13

The one I'm looking at is $550 for the day. But I don't live in Sydney so will have to drive 3.5hrs each way too!
I'd really like to do one of their more advanced courses but they say that you need to have done their basic ones first!!
I guess I don't know how much they charge for their 'name' and how much is real, valuable learning. Do you know what I mean?
I have their book too, which details a lot of their techniques.

Oh, now I really don't know! icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe I can ask Santa to pay for it!
Thanks everyone for your input
Emma

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 13

Considering that they are pretty much the masters of all that is cake, in any country, I'd give my right arm to intern there for a day!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 13

Wee before you spend a ton of money to learn ganache under fondant, go buy Sharon's Topsy Turvy cake DVD (I think its $35).

She shows u how to make the ganache and how to use it! PLUS you learn some other awesome techniques icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:11pm
post #11 of 13

Wee before you spend a ton of money to learn ganache under fondant, go buy Sharon's Topsy Turvy cake DVD (I think its $35).

She shows u how to make the ganache and how to use it! PLUS you learn some other awesome techniques icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #12 of 13

I would give my right arm to do any / all of their courses !! Yes, they are expensive ( I would have to pay airfare & accom too !! ) but I figure,you can never learn enough ,in cake decorating & discovering new ways to do things is absolutely worth it !!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #13 of 13

Hey Emma - my sis in law and I have been talking about it too. Dont know what all the go is with the ganache thing, I was thinking more about fondant, modelling etc. It's a hard one - you know you'll get something out of it but will it be $500 worth!

We must live fairly close, maybe we could both ask Santa and car pool in the new year!! If you do go this year, would love to hear your feedback! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%