Cream Cheese Added To Cake Mix?

Baking By Lovemesomecake Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 1:43am by GrandmaG

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 9

I accidentally got cream cheese instead of sour cream for WASC. Has anyone ever added cream cheese to a cake mix before??? icon_confused.gif

8 replies
d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 9

Does that make it cheese cake? :p

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:53am
post #3 of 9

My sister actually makes my daughters some cupcakes from a book that came out on Oprah. It has recipes in it that hide vegetable so that the children eat it. She makes a chocolate cake that has beets and it asks for Neufatela (sp?) it's like cream cheese.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 9

I have a vanilla cupcake recipe that starts with a box mix but I add both cream cheese AND sour cream to it (along with some vanilla bean scrapings) and it makes the most delicious vanilla cupcake EVER.

It's moist, rich and very delicious!!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:06am
post #5 of 9

I often substitute the oil in a cake mix with cream cheese. It makes a nice moist cake, less "airy" than usual.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:28am
post #6 of 9

I don't think you can do a direct substitute for the sour cream with cream cheese, but you can definitely use cc in a cake recipe. Usually, the sour cream is a substitute for the liquid...the cream cheese is in addition to the liquid....unless, of course, you are making a pound cake.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodequivalents/a/sourcreamequivs.htm

maybe that will help....

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:32am
post #7 of 9

I use 2 oz. of cream cheese in place of the oil in my white cake mix-keep the water and eggs the same. It makes the best cake ever. I've had several people tell me it's the best cake they've ever had.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 9

Buddy Valastro (owner of Carlo's Bakery on TLC's Cake Boss) said in one of the episodes that his secret is he adds cream cheese to his cakes to make them firm and moist. So it must work well.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:43am
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%