Any Ideas On What Mil Is Best For The Bags? I Use A Sealer..

Baking By CakeDiva73 Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 12:37pm by cylstrial

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 11

I need to re-order bags so I can seal the individual cookies and wrap the cookie bouquet ones and can't remember what mil is best. 'Mil" being the thickness of the plastic....I know the higher the better and they have 1 - 6 - I like a crinkly bag, not so stiff it ruins my RI decorations but not sandwich bag quality.....

Does anyone know the right one? thanks icon_smile.gif

10 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 11

or maybe no one uses bags & sealers...... is that kinda old school?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 11

I didn't even know that they had sealers! I would love to know more about it. I think it would be great to seal the cookie in. Who makes it?

Sorry that no one was able to answer your question.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 11

I have 1 mil and 2 mil bags. I use an impulse sealer, both the sealer and bags are from uline. You have to buy a thousand bags from, but you always have them on hand,and they are so much cheaper, so that is a big plus.

What I found is the 2 mil is pretty hard to open after it is sealed, like you really need a pair of scissors. So, I bought the 1 mil. They are a lot easier to open, but of course, thinner, so a little harder to handle when sealing.

I usually use the 1 mil for cookies that I seal, and use the 2 mil for making cookie bouquets. I use shiney's method of hot gluing the stick to the bag and tying with a ribbon to close the bag. This way it is easier to open the 2 mil.

HTH

CakeDiva73 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:27am
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the tips! I was trying to combine my order with my truffle box order to save on shipping but I better check the prices out - sounds like uline might be cheaper. (I'm pretty sure they were crazy expensive on s/h for the boxes but I'm in CA so if they are on the East Coast then that might be why.)

cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the info LineDancer! I'll have to check it out because I really like the idea of sealing the bag!

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 11

don't laugh, but I've used the bags from the dollar store, and used a never-used hair straightner on the lowest setting for just 2 seconds to seal the bags.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 11

You are welcome, I like to seal mine too. Makes for a more professional looking cookie IMHO. Not to mention everyone fingering all of them to take a look icon_rolleyes.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicookie

don't laugh, but I've used the bags from the dollar store, and used a never-used hair straightner on the lowest setting for just 2 seconds to seal the bags.

lmao! I love it! I always say, whatever works icon_smile.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 11

I use what ever bags I can get, usually from the cake store as they are cheaper than walmart(yep!) and I use a foodsaver to seal them when the occasion calls. Most of the time my customers want them tied with a bow for party favors or they're in a bouquet, but when I've done bake sales or for school I do seal because its more professional and sanitary looking.

cylstrial Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicookie

Hey - if it works, it works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%