Freezing Fondant

Decorating By gmilton Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:01am by d3sc3n7

gmilton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmilton Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 3

I have just started to work with fondant and usually make my own MMF. Sometimes I have some MMF left over and I don't have any other cakes coming up. I hate to throw away the MMF and was curious if it is possible to freeze MMF or any fondant for that matter.

Thanks!

Gina

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 3

Sure, freeze it. Wrap it in plastic wrap, put it in a ziplock bag, and if you're really worried about freezer taste, wrap the freezer bag in foil. Just let it thaw completely before using.

Most of the time, I save my little scraps of different colors of fondant in the freezer. Then if I need to make black fondant to cover a cakeboard, I combine all of them and add the black coloring. That way I'm not wasting anything. It's also nice to have different colors in the freezer, so if you need a little bit of a bunch of colors, you don't have to spend hours kneading the dye into tons of different colors.

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Sure, freeze it. Wrap it in plastic wrap, put it in a ziplock bag, and if you're really worried about freezer taste, wrap the freezer bag in foil. Just let it thaw completely before using.

Most of the time, I save my little scraps of different colors of fondant in the freezer. Then if I need to make black fondant to cover a cakeboard, I combine all of them and add the black coloring. That way I'm not wasting anything. It's also nice to have different colors in the freezer, so if you need a little bit of a bunch of colors, you don't have to spend hours kneading the dye into tons of different colors.

Hours? Maybe I'm screwing up my MMF here...and please tell me if I am but when I'm making the MMF I color it before I add the PS. If I've already added it, then I just re heat it in the microwave...and add color...no pretty hands for this guy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%