Chocolate Leveled Cake

Decorating By GL79 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm by Jeff_Arnett

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 5

I just made a chocolate cake from Duncan H. and there's a huge dome, and it tore into pieces. I followed instructions on box, what am I doing wrong. Is there anything else I need to do besides box instructions?

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 5

Cakes are going to dome. To help prevent it - you can use bake even strips and put a greased flower nail in the center.

Do you mean that the dome cracked while it was baking? That's normal too. I just tort the cake later.

If it tore when you were torting it - was it hot? You have to wait for it to cool.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 5

Yes there is something you can do. Turn your oven down to 325-320 and bake it a little longer to get a flatter dome. You can also play with the mix using extenders or adding a touch more oil then called for which makes a cake more dense and not bake up to high. You can rip an old towl into long strips and wet them and wrap the outside edge of your pan right before baking. Secure then with metal clips(anything else will melt) Homemade baking strips are great and prevent the edges from being done before the middle(which makes the dome).

Turn your cake our of your pan and then right back over(right side up) to cool. Leveling a cold cake works better then hot/warm crumbly cake. Some in here cut when frozen-I can not. LOL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 5

I also think that recipes that use shortening bake flatter. That's just been my experience.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL79

I just made a chocolate cake from Duncan H. and there's a huge dome, and it tore into pieces. I followed instructions on box, what am I doing wrong. Is there anything else I need to do besides box instructions?

Doming tends to occur when the oven's temp is too hot....the sides set to early, forcing the batter to the center.

Check you oven's temp with a reliable oven thermometer. If it reads higher than the setting, adjust it down. I agree with other that cake bake better at 325F!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%