Support Structure For Construction Barrel Cake?

Decorating By Tarielena Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 1:45am by spencersmom98

Tarielena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarielena Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding coming up in December, and for the rehearsal dinner they want a cake shaped like one of those orange barrels with the light on top that you see on the highway when there's construction going on, etc.

Any advice on how to put this thing together? I'm thinking it will be around 4 (or 5?) layers of 8" rounds to get the right proportions. I would probably put two layers together, stick a few dowels in, then a cardboard under the top two layers. I'll sprinkle some sugar or dessicated coconut under the cardboard so they can just pop those two layers off for easier serving, making it basically 2 double layer 8" cakes. Hope that makes sense, it does in my head icon_smile.gif But I'm certainly open to suggestions or hints!

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 7

same shape as bottom of a gumball machine almost

same principal to making

stack lot of tiers

carve in at a slant.

can make it round or multi-sided.

see this diagram:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1421117.html

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 7

I am having basically the same isssue with a soda can cake. Wondering if I should support it the way you mentioned, or try another method. Mine is going to be 4 6" rounds. I was thinking of screwing a center pipe/dowel to my bottom cake board for support. This would be a first for me, so I'm a bit nervous!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarielena

I have a wedding coming up in December, and for the rehearsal dinner they want a cake shaped like one of those orange barrels with the light on top that you see on the highway when there's construction going on, etc.

Any advice on how to put this thing together? I'm thinking it will be around 4 (or 5?) layers of 8" rounds to get the right proportions. I would probably put two layers together, stick a few dowels in, then a cardboard under the top two layers. I'll sprinkle some sugar or dessicated coconut under the cardboard so they can just pop those two layers off for easier serving, making it basically 2 double layer 8" cakes. Hope that makes sense, it does in my head icon_smile.gif But I'm certainly open to suggestions or hints!

Your construction sound fine...you might want to add a center dowel down through it all to stabilize things. I also avoid coconut between layer due to the risk of allergies....try just using a circle of parchment paper one inch smaller than the layers are....that's what's between all my stacked tiers!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencersmom98

I am having basically the same isssue with a soda can cake. Wondering if I should support it the way you mentioned, or try another method. Mine is going to be 4 6" rounds. I was thinking of screwing a center pipe/dowel to my bottom cake board for support. This would be a first for me, so I'm a bit nervous!

yep, that will work just like you see on all the cake challenges - but would be a bit of over kill for such a small cake.

a simpler cheaper alternative:

plywood disk, partial hole in the center -- dowel glued and screwed as in the diagram.

HTH
LL

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencersmom98

yep, that will work just like you see on all the cake challenges - but would be a bit of over kill for such a small cake.

a simpler cheaper alternative:

plywood disk, partial hole in the center -- dowel glued and screwed as in the diagram.

HTH

Exactly...this is what I use most of the time now. I purchase a 1/2 thich masonite base board, then glue and screw a central dowel to it.

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #7 of 7

Thank you, I will have to try that! It looks easier than the way I was thinking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%