Need Help With A 3-D Cake

Decorating By mcampbell31 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm by Makeitmemorable

mcampbell31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcampbell31 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 9

I've been taking the Wilton Courses. Finished Course 1 & 2 and now i'm in the Fondant Gumpaste Course. Of course they do not teach you how to do 3-d cakes. Well i'm in the middle of doing a cake for my nephews Birthday Party tomorrow and part of the cake is 3-D.

My question is how do you keep together the different parts of the cakes without it falling apart? I thought toothpicks but then I thought I would not want anyone biting into a toothpick. How is this done??

I'm makin Optimus Prime Truck from Transformers.

8 replies
mcampbell31 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 9

Nobody..wow thanks. icon_sad.gif

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 9

The pieces should stick together with buttercream. Then cover the whole thing with buttercream that should work. Are you covering it with fondant as well?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 9

Definitely used buttercream, not too thin in consistency. If absolutely necessary, and there is enough cake, you can add a dowel as well and just let people know there is a dowel in there so they're careful when cutting. But that depends on the amount of cake you are trying to hold together.
Good luck.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 9

You need to give people a chance to read and respond to the post before you make a comment like this..It kinda doesn't make anyone want to answer icon_confused.gif

"Nobody..Wow thanks icon_sad.gif"

Be patient...someone will respond! thumbs_up.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 9

I would dowel it. you could also use Skewers

Molly

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 9

If you are worried about kids eating it and don't want to put anything in it that cannot be eaten, try some dry spagetti the thick one. I will also depend on how much you are expecting it to hold. I use this alot in figures if I know it's for a kids party and for putting mirrors etc onto car cakes.

Good luck,

mcampbell31 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

You need to give people a chance to read and respond to the post before you make a comment like this..It kinda doesn't make anyone want to answer icon_confused.gif

"Nobody..Wow thanks icon_sad.gif"

Be patient...someone will respond! thumbs_up.gif

Sorry if I seemed rushed but I was on a time crunch. I ended up using straws though. This is my first 3-D cake. I had to end up making some more cake because it came out horrible. I'm just really disappointed overall. I'm a beginner so i'm still learning.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 9

Don't be disheartened, we have all been there. I am sure it was not horrible, we are just our own worst critics.

Cheer up icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%