How Do I Make This Cake Shape Or Is It Just The Photograph?

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm by dstbni

Cake-Girl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Girl1968 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 9

Take a look:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=852393

It looks like the cake layers taper in. Or do you think it's just the angle of the photograph?

8 replies
Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 9

I do not know how it was done...but is beautiful and I would like to know too....

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 9

No, it looks like they sculpted the cakes to make them tapered. Easy to do ~ just use a sharp knife and run it along the top at an inward angle towards the bottom of the cake. The tricky part is making it even all around, but the slight angle doesn't affect the stabillity of the cake. Good luck!

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 9

Most likely it was carved down to make look like that...so make like 6 in rounds (or whatever size you are making) for your regular amount of cake. Stcak and ice them. Refrigerate for a few hours. Then carve it down.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 9

Here are my instructions for tapering cakes. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Start with two same-size cake layers, say, 10-inch round.

Place a 10-inch round cake circle on one end, and an 8-inch circle on the other end.

Working inside a large pan or baking sheet to confine the mess, elevate the cake a few inches on something narrower than the cake, like a 6 or 7 inch cake pan.

The 8-inch board side should be up. Put non-skid mat between the cake and it's elevator so it doesn't slip off.

Now, take a long, serrated knife and, using the cake boards as guides, carve away the sides of the cake. Flip the cake over, place on it's permanent board and away you go!

If you plan to fill the layers with something other than buttercream, place a couple of small cardboard cake circles between your layers before carving.

After carving, take the two layers apart, remove the cake circles, pipe your dam, add filling and replace the layers. Trim, if necessary.

If you're going to fill with buttercream, you can do that before carving.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 9

To make it easier, use graduated cake sizes; If I want it tall, I use three layers, for example, a 6", 7", and 8" layer. Stack accordingly, and it is much easier to carve evenly. hth[/i]

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 9

There is a tutorial on Topsy Turveys in the articles section. It has some good pics on getting tapered sides, just ignore the stuff about making the layers crooked.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the information. I was wondering how to do the same thing.

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 9

Actually the "Baby in a Flower Pot" one that is at the top of the articles section is even better. The first 3 or so photos show how to cut a tapered shape

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%