Taste Of Black Icing

Decorating By happigolucki35 Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm by tiggy2

happigolucki35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happigolucki35 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 8

Im new to cake baking and decorating, is there any way to make black icing taste better. I use the Wilton gel colors.

7 replies
dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 8

I've had good luck when I start with Chocolate Buttercream and add the black to it.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 8

I usually use baking cocoa to darken my icing or frosting as much as I can first, then I'll add just enough black to make it bkac. It still has a taste to it, but not as bad. And remember that the wilton colors will darken after a few hours so if thats what you're using do a test...after you've gotten it to a color lighter than what you think, put a smear on a white plate and let it dry for 15mins and see what it looks like. I like Americolor gel colors you dont seem to have to add as much, but for black its still quite a bit. Depending on what you're doing you may also be able to use the spray(if your coloring the background of a whole cake for in stance,)

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by happigolucki35

Im new to cake baking and decorating, is there any way to make black icing taste better. I use the Wilton gel colors.

I have found that if I add a bit of clear corn syrup to the black frosting it takes away the bitterness. I actually do this for any of the darker colors - the reds, greens, etc.

Welcome to cake decorating! icon_smile.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 8

Switch to Americolor if you can. Their Super Black has no bitter taste at all AND requires less color to achieve a deep dark black color.

toshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toshaw Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 8

I use KopyKake's gel color black and there has NEVER been an issue with the taste. I've even had comments from people who are afraid of black because they've had icky tasting black icing. Also, remember it gets darker after it sits. If it is a dark grey color, it will turn to black in time.

happigolucki35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happigolucki35 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 10:35am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will try them all because the taste of black icing is terrible and I hate when I have to make someone a cake with black icing.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 8

Chefmaster leaves no bad taste, you only use a little bit and it will be black immediately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%