Trying To Do Something Nice....

Decorating By goddessa12 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm by lillermom

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 11

I work with the Down Syndrome Network in my town and one of the little boys in the group has a lot of food allergies that need to be accomodated. He's never gotten to have a birthday cake because no bakery would/could make it.
I want so badly to make a cake for this boy because i think everyone should get to have cake!

So here are the limits.....
Cake with NO: milk/dairy, eggs, nuts/peanuts; sesame or sesame oil, soy or any type of legumes (peas, etc)

And it may or may not have to be gluten free too... I'm checking in to that, they said no gluten the first time, but didn't send it on this list...

Is this possible, does anyone have any ideas what to do??

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:38am
post #2 of 11

How about this one: http://www.eatingwithfoodallergies.com/allergyfreebirthdaycake.html

If you decide to try it, I believe you can find the xanthian gum at Whole Foods.

I've never tried it, just saved the link in case I ever found a need for it. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 11

Try "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World". That book has some great recipes in it. Very tasty.

goddessa12 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much, these are really helpful!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 11

This is very thoughtful of you! I really hope you are able to find a recipe that will accomodate his allergies so he can experience having a birthday cake- he'll remember you forever icon_smile.gif Good luck to you!

I'm sure it's crossed your mind, but remember to get an icing recipe that you can use on the cake that is allergy friendly too. icon_smile.gif And hopefully one you can decorate with.

Good luck again!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 11

That is fabulous!! Thank you so much everyone, I know i can make this cake for him now and I'm super excited!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 11

Don't have any recipes, just wanted to say that is so wonderul of you to do. Thanks for showing us once again that great human beings do exist.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 11

EASY NON-DAIRY CHOCOLATE CAKE

3 c. flour
2 tsp. vinegar
2 c. sugar
2/3 c. salad oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. Hershey's cocoa
2 c. cold water
2 tsp. baking soda

In large bowl, mix by hand flour, sugar, salt, cocoa and baking soda. Add vinegar, salad oil, vanilla, and water. Mix by hand. Bake at 350 degrees in 9x13 inch pan; test at 30-35 minutes.
If smaller cake is desired, half the recipe, bake in 9x9 inch pan.

Tried this once, using light olive oil. Not sure about the gluten content, but you can certainly use gluten-free flour instead. They also sell alot of Gluten-free cake mixes in the organic section at my grocery store, but I don't have one here to check eggs/dairy ingredients. Good luck - what a nice thing to do!

goddessa12 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 11

You guys are giving me too much credit, anyone on here would do the same thing... I've discovered that cakers (especially CC cakers) have the biggest hearts and are always willing to help!

I never realized how many options there were without using the basic ingredients... this has definitely been an eye opener about trying new things icon_smile.gif

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 11

This is seriously the best cake! I am totally with you that everybody deserves a cake!

Vegan chocolate cake

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 cup water

DIRECTIONS
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2.Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
3.Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%