I Found A New Way To Advertis...lol!

Decorating By my_4_dumplins Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 3:15am by Doug

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 7

Yesterday was my friends birthday and we are celebrating tonight, so I baked her a cake. It's chocolate with chocolate cream filling and chocolate buttercream, decorated like the basket of berries cake in my photos. I didn't have a box to put it in so I held it in my lap while DH drove. We stopped at McDonalds to get the kids lunch and the girl at the window said "wow, is that a real cake?!". I said yes and she said I have a friend who is having a birthday in 2 weeks and she asked for my #. I priced it to her right there in the drive thru! Everyone was coming to the window to see the cake.. icon_biggrin.gif My DH said I need to make a cake dummy to keep in the van and drive around town from drive-thru to drive-thru icon_lol.gif . Free advertisement!

6 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 7

there you go icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #3 of 7

Who wudda thunk? thumbs_up.gif

Your DH is right. Keep a nice dummy in the back, and when he's driving, set it on your lap.

I got a reminder call for an upcoming dentist appt today. Then the receptionist said "Do you still do cakes? My DD is turning 19 in October. She's allergic to eggs, but she should still have a cake. Can you do one?"

"Sure! I've got a great website to look for egg-free recipes." So when I go in for my appt. I'll give her more info and price it out. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #4 of 7

Oh, I LOOOOVE doing that!! I love it when they call people over to the window and they're all hanging out trying to see. It just makes you feel awesome!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 7

Hubby came by the shop tonight and we walked to the restaurant next door for dinner. A lady at the next table was talking about a wedding. I kept kicking hubby to shut up so I could eavesdrop.

So I finally get up and walk over to her, lay my card in front of her and said, "I'm sorry ... but my ears seem to perk up whenever I hear the word "wedding reception". My shop is right next door if you're still looking for a cake and a caterer!"

She laughed and said, "Well, we have 3 weddings coming up in the next year!" I said, "I give volume discounts!"

Go back to our table and hubby says, "You are unbelievable!" I said, "That's why you married me, toots!" thumbs_up.gif

-------------------------
I pulled into Arby's just to get a coke at the drive-thru. An employee was walking from her car to the door and I stopped to let her cross the parking lot. She came up to my window, tells me she's seen my van and she is getting married next year. I give her my card and tell her all the info in on the website. She told me she plans to start booking things in Nov/Dec. I said, "ok! See you then!"

you can't be shy if you're in this business! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:06am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Absolute truth! Any time I'm at Hobby Lobby, Michael's etc. and someone is picking out wedding stuff, baby shower stuff, etc. I walk up, strike up a conversation and give them my card. Even if they already have something for THIS event, who knows about the next one!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:15am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

it's having what nature gifted men with but didn't give to women...

BUT all good business people have regardless of gender!

----

of course I prefer saying:

ya gotta have chutzpah!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%