Pricing Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By llbesq Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 7:50pm by KHalstead

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 2

I have been asked to do a Topsy Turvy birthday cake and would like to find out if anyone prices this type of cake differently than they do a "normal" tiered cake. It seems to require more time/work as well as more actual cake (if you follow the tutorial directions on CC) which should increase the price. Thanks for the input!

1 reply
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 2

you definitely should charge more. I charge $2.25/serv. for a bc tiered cake and charge $3.00/serv. for topsy turvy cakes- I consider them a carved cake, but since they require less carving than most 3-D cakes BUT require an extra layer of cake I figure my serving sizes by the middle layer size. For instance if my topsy turvy is a 6",7",8" top tier, I consider that the servings of a normal two layered 7" cake according to my charts it's 15 servings so then if the bottom tier was let's say a 10",9",8" I would consider it 30 serv. like a normal 2 layer 9" round.......so the whole cake would be 45 servings and would cost $135........technically they get more cake than I quote (and I let them know this in case they want to adjust accordingly) but that's why the price per serving is higher as well. I figure it all balances out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%