What Would You Do?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 7:57am by lthiele

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 13

I am making my daughters 1st birthday cake, and it's not going so well.
It is supossed to be 3 topsy turvy cupcakes stacked.

First of all I ignored all advice and filled the darn thing with chopped up frozen strawberries and whitechocolate butter cream, tastes amazing (just like strawberry icecream) but is not stable enough for a 3-D cake.
So even though they are still in the fridge they are starting to sag and slip to one side (even with dowels in them).

Second they don't look like cupcakes they look like muffins with lumpy tops. I did'nt have enough cake to carve the "frosting" part so I used cakeball mix and covered in mmf. Looks like cr@p

Basically I am not happy at all, and very dissapointed in myself.
So would it be totally crazy for me to trash 3 tiers of cake and start over?
The party is not until Sunday so I think I have enough time and I really want it to be perfect.

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 13

She's only going to have one first birthday, so if you have enough time and ingredients, rebake. Otherwise you are going to open the fridge a million times between now and Sunday, worrying that your cake has fallen apart.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

She's only going to have one first birthday, so if you have enough time and ingredients, rebake. Otherwise you are going to open the fridge a million times between now and Sunday, worrying that your cake has fallen apart.

Yeah, what she said! ^^^^^
Give the cake you already did to the neighbors and start over.

*edited for typo icon_redface.gif *

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 13

Texas_Rose has given you the best advice.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 13

I agree with Texas_Rose, if you're anything like me, it will benefit your nerves to just start over fresh! I'm sorry you're having such a hard time though!

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 13

Like Texas_Rose said, she only has ONE first birthday and although she won't remember (or probably want to when she's older) YOU on the other hand will always treasure the video and pictures of her first birthday party!! You don't want your strongest memory to be that cake from he!!, the sooner it's out of your sight the better, and I bet the new one will be fabulous!!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 13

If you truly can not save what you have already baked then start over.

I know it is nerve wracking... Hang in there.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 13

Just redo it. Trust me!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 13

Just throw that cake into the freezer and save it for cake balls next week thumbs_up.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:11am
post #10 of 13

CakeMommy - your cakes are so awesome, sorry you're having a bad day, but thanks for making the rest of us feel human! Hope trash didn't literally mean in the trash, it sounds delish! Are you in the States? What about the smash cake tradition, if you redo - she could also have a really awesome smash cake that her and her little friends coud not nuts with! Could make for some funny pics! (I'm assuming that's what you do with a smash cake??!! icon_redface.gif )

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:41am
post #11 of 13

lthiele-thank you!
Well one actually made it in the trash, but it was smushed and ruined (I di have abite though and it was awesome), the other two I gave to my neighboors, one was'nt even done being decorated but I did'nt see a point in finishing it.
I've changed the design, it's still cute but at this point I don't have the time to learn anything new so I'm going with a tiered cake that I know I won't mess up ..lol
I did make her a smash cake and yes she will make a mess, this child can make a mess out of anything!
I gave her 1 Cheeto and some how she managed to get it in her ear and in between her toes, now thats talent!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #12 of 13

That cake sounded delish! I hope you sat down and relaxed with a piece before starting to make the next one! And your daughter looks adorable in your avatar!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 7:57am
post #13 of 13

CakeMommy the second one turned out so perfect! Really cute! I love how even all the scrolls are. It's big pressure doinig a cake for your own child, everyone expects it to be spectacular! My daughter is 3 in 2 weeks, am feeling the pressure already!

A couple of people asked in your comments about your scalloped edges, I tried this once and failed miserably, it was so lop sided!! Even without the scallop, the effect of a top on a box with fondant turned my hair grey! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%