Wooden Dowels?

Decorating By Sherryb Updated 2 Sep 2005 , 5:17am by SquirrellyCakes

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 12:50am
post #1 of 18

What do ya'all...lol...use to cut your wooden dowels?
Sherryb

17 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 12:53am
post #2 of 18

I have some PVC pipe cutters that I bought at Lowe's--cuts them clean and easy.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 12:54am
post #3 of 18

I bought a pair of hand pruners like you'd get in the gardening section ... they work great with mine when I'm cutting them icon_smile.gif

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 1:01am
post #4 of 18

Thank you....my DH decided that he would cut the dowels for me...took them outside and cut them with his table saw...lol...ya gotta love'em. icon_biggrin.gif
Sherryb

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:18am
post #5 of 18

I use dog nail clippers. The kind with the hole you stick the nail (dowel) through and then squeeze the handle and the sharp part comes up through the hole.

Now, obviously, I have a pair that I use exclusively for cake decorating. My dh and I were experimenting on who to cut dowels easier and it was his idea. So, we tried it on a dowel that I wasn't going to use and it was the bomb!

It cuts them evenly, smoothly and you can line them up perfectly so they are all exactly the same height.

Also--most of the time I use plastic straws unless it's a really big cake.

Lisa

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:55am
post #6 of 18

Heehee, I must be getting the wrong brand names of the dog clipper and garden sheers etc. because none of these things have worked for me so I have returned to using my good Henckel steak knifes, shh don't tell, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Heehee, I must be getting the wrong brand names of the dog clipper and garden sheers etc. because none of these things have worked for me so I have returned to using my good Henckel steak knifes, shh don't tell, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

Dang!! You use your "good" knives on wood!?! No way, no how!! It took me YEARS to convince dh to actually let me buy them--I'm now using them as a saw! LOL!

I'm not sure what the brand name of my dog clippers are but they have a black handle and were like $10 or so.

Lisa

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 18

I am NOT going to admit that I saw into them with steak knives! OOPS..Already did...well sometimes that is. I have lately been using wooden skewers and they are easy to cut w/anything even scissors.

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 18

Our Wilton Instructor told us she uses drinking straws, Mcdonald's were her favorite, but I use regular drinking straws from the food store. EASY to cut and $1.00 for like 50 of them. icon_razz.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 18

I've heard of others using drinking straws but I worry about them holding the weight of a heavy tiered cake. There's no way I'd stack up a 4 tiered cake on straws lol

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 1:09pm
post #11 of 18

I've stacked 4 tiered cakes serval times, never had a problem. I do used more than what I would of wooden dowels. I worry about wood being in cake and splinters. To each it's own thumbs_up.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 18

I invested in a major piece of equipment to cut my dowels. icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

A $5.00 hacksaw from the hardware store!! icon_lol.gif Works great!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 2:23pm
post #13 of 18

I've heard bubble tea straws are thicker, but I'm not sure what bubble tea even is or what the straws look like! icon_redface.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 3:11pm
post #14 of 18

There is an article on that on the site, the bubble tea straws. They are straws designed for drinking Asian bubble tea and they are stronger.
I won't use straws for anything heavy either, strictly for a two tier cake. Mainly because most of them are not large enough in diameter nor strong enough for my liking. Actually the Mc Donalds straws are better. Haven't tried the bubble tea straws, but I am a traditionalist and tend to stick with tried and true, haha!
Never had any issues with splintering, I sand the edges then wash the dowels.
Hugs Squirrelly

Janzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janzcakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 4:16am
post #15 of 18

I would like to know more about what pvc cutters are? I currently have been using a brand new pair of dog clippers but I find that it slightly slants the cut of the dowels. Do you use these cutters for wooden and plastic dowels? We don't have that store here but maybe I can check a home depot or something? Thanks

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 4:23am
post #16 of 18

I like my little twig pruners, but I'm going to give the dog clippers a try!!!

Janzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janzcakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 4:30am
post #17 of 18

I would like to know more about what pvc cutters are? I currently have been using a brand new pair of dog clippers but I find that it slightly slants the cut of the dowels. Do you use these cutters for wooden and plastic dowels? We don't have that store here but maybe I can check a home depot or something? Thanks

SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:17am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janzcakes

Yes, Home Depot would have them, they are used for cutting PVC pipes, the plastic plumbing pipes that are used in kitchens and bathrooms and such, usually black.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%