How Would You Respond To This???

Business By Isaby Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm by Isaby

Isaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isaby Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 16

Hello CCers!
I'm pretty frustated with a new customer.... Would you still make the cake for her?

I've started doing cakes for friends and family, getting a few extra (much needed) bucks on the side. Business is expanding a little bit with friends of friends wanting my cakes too. Well, I get a call from a lady who saw a cake at her friend's party this past saturday. She calls me on Tuesday wanting a cake for Saturday afternoon. She said that her daughter never eats cake, but she had seconds of ine and wanted to gift her for her birthday. I said that I ususally need orders to be placed a full week before, but it she didnt want anything big, so I could squeeze her in. I always ask for a deposit, both for my security and the customer's. That's just the way I run my little business. I told her that I needed the deposit by thrusday, the latest! She could either mail it to me or we could meet. (I'm a small little home-based business, I need the deposit to cover some of the materials, you know how it goes.) I e- mailed her all my info on the same day we talked, along with order form and sketch. She didn't respond to it until WEDNESDAY EVENING. She said she liked the design. On THURSDAY at 4:30 pm, I get a call from her saying that she was on her way to my house to drop off the check, but didnt bring my address. She sounded very peeved when she realized I probably wasnt home. Seriously??? Who is as home at 4:30 on a Thrusday???? I work until 5:00 with a half hour commute!!!! I call her right at five to tell her that I was at work, but it she wanted to meet me or come by again, I would be glad to wait for her. Today is now FRIDAY at 9:00am, a little over 24 hours before the cake is due, and she hasnt even called me back. I'd hate to turn business away, but I just think this person is wasting my time. I could go ahead and make the cake, but what if she doesn't show up??? I don't want to waste time and money on an already busy weekend. What would you do?

Thanks for allowing me to vent everyone!

-Isaby

15 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 16

I'm not in business, but I'd write her off if I were you. It sounds like she wants to do things by her time schedule, not by yours.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 16

It's too late!!! With your work schedule, even if she brought you money NOW, when would you shop? Then you would be up all night baking and decorating.

Let her go!
(This from someone who really needs to learn a certain two letter word, so the four letter ones stay where they belong!!!)

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 16

Runnnnnnnnnnnn as fast as you can from her!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 16

I wouldn't do the cake but I'd notify her in advance, by email and phone that it's a no go due to non-payment.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 16

I feel like I need to respond to this post because I can relate so well. I also do cakes just for family and friends and have been getting more and more requests from friends and coworkers of theirs. I haven't yet turned anyone away because I do need the money. I have dealt with the best and the worst. A cake requested on Friday afternoon for a Saturday evening party with a fondant bow! Wasn't sure if it would dry in time, but I did it anyway! My humble opinion would be to keep trying to contact her until the last minute you think you can still shop and complete the cake. If you need the money, not only will you get this, but once she sees your beautiful cake, you'll probably end up with business from her party too. Make sure you leave a couple of business cards - or at least a little "Thanks for your business" note with your name and number in case anyone asks her. The day of hard work and frustration is probably nothing in compared to the business you end up earning because of it. Most annoying people (not all, LOL) know that they're being unreasonable, they just can't help themselves. Good luck & I hope it all works out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 16

I'd say no and I do this as my only biz.

And a word to you newbies. Please check the Sticky at the top of this Forum just to make sure you're not heading for trouble. Once you branch out past family and start actually selling cakes, you may, depending on your state's rules, have to be licensed, inspected, need liability insurance, need to incorporate, start paying taxes, etc, etc.

You never know who is invited to the party where you cake will be served. Is it your competition? The health inspector?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 16

I've had people try that crap with me and I simply stick to my guns -- I'm sorry, I do need to have x-amount of time. There's a lot that goes into cakes and I already have several commitments (notice I didn't say "cake orders" -- let them draw that conclusion) so I cannot accommodate you. Just be nice about it and they usually see the error of their ways! icon_lol.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 16

Run...as fast as you can.

I know you need the cash (as most of us do or are in the same boat), but it sounds like this lady is going to be more trouble than she is worth.

if you were going to shop some where else for groceries, clothing, or even a car do you honestly thin they would extend you the same courtesy that you want to offer her?

Not likely they would tell you cash up front end of story.

I am sure that you will get other cake orders and chances are that even if she showed up right now with the payment in full and you got everything you needed together, your going to have to rush to do the cake, and like most cakers (if not all cause we are perfectionists in our own right) you will not do your best work when rushed.

Now you have a rushed cake for a customer who was already slightly ticked (because you have a life) who is going to look for fault in every little thing....

I cant tell you how many threads I have read with very similar stories,

R-U-N as fast as you can!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'd say no and I do this as my only biz.

And a word to you newbies. Please check the Sticky at the top of this Forum just to make sure you're not heading for trouble. Once you branch out past family and start actually selling cakes, you may, depending on your state's rules, have to be licensed, inspected, need liability insurance, need to incorporate, start paying taxes, etc, etc.

You never know who is invited to the party where you cake will be served. Is it your competition? The health inspector?

So true. Well said.

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 16

I have a feeling that she will hate the cake you make, and it doesn't matter how beautiful it is decorated. I would run, just as others have suggested.

Isaby Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks Leah, for you warning. Its is very true what you have said and I am aware of the laws and regulations in my state. They are there to protect everyone.

Thus my dillema with this lady. I dont have a "business". I accept money to make the cakes which go for the materials, ingredients, etc. If I don't have that, I'm not able to make a cake for anyone because I'm not a bakery. I don't have the capital to make things and then be re-imbursed for it. I barely make enough to even cover the costs and I make cakes because I rrreeaaaallllyy enjoy it and they taste delicious, and if people want to give me money for it, hey, by all means!!!! But I also believe in acting in a professional and ordely manner in everything, even if its just a cake made by an amateur. Oh well, we live and learn, don't we??!!! LOL

Thanks you everyone for your opinions. I really do learn A LOT from all of you.

-Isaby

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 16

$$=business. Business=$$.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 16

Using language like "deposit", "security", "SMALL HOME BASED BUSINESS" infers that you are running a business.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 16

Jamie I love your avatar! :]

Isaby Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for your comments, opinions and advice, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%