What Is This Flower And How Would You Do The Center?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm by tonedna

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 13

I LOVE the flowers on this cake. What flowers are these and what cutters would you use. Also how do you think the yellow part of the flower was done?

TIA

12 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 13

the pictures missing!
xx

mindy1204 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 13

HAHA A link would help.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1457601

BTW if the designer of this cake see this, I love you cake I think it is so amazing.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 13

I'm not sure how it was done, but since it was done by a member, I would PM her and ask. That way, you get the information straight from the designer. HTH!!
Amber

brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 13

have you tried sending the creator a pm?
i wouldnt know how to explain doing the centers, id need to sit down and do it step by step to make sure i had it right! (if you get desperate, i could try to just imagine and explain!)
i would say though, the yellow hairy bits (i have no plant biology!) are lace making thread.
xx

mindy1204 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 13

I have sent her a message. I forgot that we are able to do that. You mentioned thread so you dont think it is fondant?

Thanks

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 13

Looking at it I would say the green centre is made of gum paste & the yellow around it is cotton thread. It's done by making a hook in a wire & a loop of thread then you tape it & cut it & spread it out.

I would pm the person who made it first in case she has a different method but if you get no joy pm me & I'll be happy to explain in more detail.

brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 13

they yellow i the pic is thread (in my opinion) but you could do a simplified gumpaste (or fondant) center, it would be a different look though.
xx

mindy1204 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 13

The thread makes sense I was trying to figure how you would do the yellow with fondant. What cutter do you think she uses. I am really just learning flowers.

Thanks

brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 13

any 6 petal one would probably get you there, prefereably with pointed ends, they use the ball tool and dog bone tool to thin and shape the petals.
if you do the yellow with gumpaste (fondant will be too thick - same for the actual petals), id just do a small circle, and cut into it, but it will give a different look. which doesnt really matter if its just practice.
xx

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 13

I was just wondering the same thing myself lol It looks to me as if they're made with individual petals rather than one big cutter. If it's not, she's done a good job of making it look that way.

It's a beautiful cake, just shows how much good work you can miss on here.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 13

Just get some appropriate thread and wrap it aound & around a 1-inch cardboard (or whatever dimension works for your petal length).

Slip a wire through the threads and twist the wire around the threads to secure all the threads into one wad held in place with the twisted wire. Remove the cardboard.

So the wire and the loops would look like a dotted 'i' kinda if the 'i' was dotted with a circle.

Opposite to where the wire is holding the threads secure, cut all the threads at once--viola--you got your fluffy flower center--then just finish the flower as described above.

I know that might be hard to follow-but that's how I'd do it.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 13

That looks like a fantasy Clematis. Every petal is done separate. The center is done with cotton thread that is wired
to on it's own. Then the whole flower is put togther wit florist tape.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%