Mmf, Mff, Or Fondx?? Which Is Best To Work With???

Decorating By hollyberry91 Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 3:35am by hollyberry91

hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 11

Hey ya'll,

So i've covered cakes with Wilton fondant with no trouble but it tastes like poop so i don't want to use that..

I've covered cakes with satin ice and, although it taste a lot better that wilton, i had trouble with it tearing and getting a weird elephant skin effect.

Sooo now im thinking about buying fondx, trying to make marshmallow fondant, or Michele Foster's fondant. Fondx is gonna cost me the most out of the three but is it either to work with than the other two? Has any body used these and can tell me how easy or difficult it is to cover cakes smoothly with these? Which do ya'll recommend out of the three? Thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
hollyberry91 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 11

If you know any other brands or recipes of fondant that are easy to work with let me know about those too icon_biggrin.gif

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #3 of 11

I always use satin ice to cover and wilton to make decorations with. I haven't had any problems (YET!) with Satin Ice but I've read here that some people mix it with the Wilton to get a more workable fondant (2/3 SI and 1/3 Wilton). HTH icon_smile.gif

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 11

Out of the three, I've only tried MMF. It's really yummy and easy to work with, but it's kind of a bear to make in my opinion. Every time I make it, I swear it's the last. Until I actually start decorating. So I'm going to try MFF this weekend. Hopefully it's easier.

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #5 of 11

I've made MMF and MFF, and I prefer the MFF. I have never tried to cover and entire cake with MMF, but I found that I prefer the taste and texture of MFF. I just did a three layer wedding cake two weeks ago and I coverd the entire thing in MFF, had a big chunk left over, kept it wrapped and sealed and just used the last of it to make about 25 ribbon roses and leafs for a birthday cake I'm making this weekend. My kids were trying to eat it before I could make the roses! They love it, but they don't care for MMF. HTH

hollyberry91 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #6 of 11

Thanks im definitely curious about the MFF just nervous to try and make it. When you mix the satin ice with the wilton can you taste any of the wilton yuckiness in the satin ice?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:07am
post #7 of 11

I'm a real MMF fan. Easy to make, easy to work with and it tastes yummy! Especially when you add a little clear flavoring.

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #8 of 11

I like MMF also taste good easy to make and use.

mccowen73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccowen73 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 11

Fondx alwaysicon_smile.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #10 of 11

Just made my first batch of MFF last week. It tastes so good, kind of like caramel. I had to knead it a lite to get it a workable consistency, but other than that it was a breeze to make.

hollyberry91 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:35am
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all of ya'll advice! I think i'm gonna start by trying to make the MFF, if i can't pull it off im gonna try MMF and then if i have trouble with that i'll have to spend the money and order the Fondx. Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%