How Much Dust Is 4 Grams?

Decorating By grandmom Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 9:39am by grandmom

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 6

I have never used any dusts before. My next cake will be a Harley themed cake for my son's 40th. I am undecided on how to do the flames. Thinking of using red, orange and yellow fondant/gumpaste. Or painting red and orange on yellow fondant/gumpaste, or maybe just painting the flames directly on the fondant.

But anyway, am I needing petal dust for this? And is the stuff edible? I was looking at some from a certain blocked website and the stuff was like a gazillion dollars!! Global Sugar Art has 4 grams for just a few bucks.

Is this brand ok? How much dust is 4 grams? Sounds tiny.

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 6

It's a teaspoon.

grandmom Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for that information. Is that enough to paint with? Again, sounds so tiny.

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:33am
post #4 of 6

Depends, when you are using it on a cake never enough, when you spill, man is it a lot.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:43am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

Thanks for that information. Is that enough to paint with? Again, sounds so tiny.

It's enough to paint something with....just depends on how big your "something" is! icon_lol.gif

grandmom Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 9:39am
post #6 of 6

Point taken! The something I want to paint is dimensional, not flat, fondant/gumpaste flames to surround a 12 inch tier. So it would be quite a bit of real estate to cover. I'll get a couple of jars of each color just to be safe. I'm also going to try painting the flames with thinned gel colors. And I'll try mixing colored fondants.

I'm not in business, just a wannabe, so I don't get to try everything I'd like. Every cake I make for us or for family is a learning experience by design. I make sure I try at least two or three new things each cake. I need the experience, and it usually means I get a new toy or two!

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%