Chocolate Wasc Disaster:(

Decorating By luvmysmoother Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm by cupcakelady64

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 7

I just first want to thank prterrell for the amazing idea to do a chocolate fudge cake layer/nutella layer/chocolate walnut brownie layer/dark chocolate ganache layer on top of another chocolate fudge cake layer - I know she calls it chocolate overload but I like to call it "the black death cake" because it totally killsicon_smile.gif Taste was not the issue thoughicon_sad.gif I used the chocolate wasc recipe here on cc and it was the most delicious tasting chocolate cake I've ever had. Unfortunately it was the worst disaster for me to decorate with because everytime my spatula even touched the cake it crumbled like crazy (and I swear it wasn't the icing - this crumbling happened to me before with generic cake mix which I never use anymore but NEVER with DH) I was able to save it and from the picture I know you can't really "see" the problems I had with it (including smoothing out an embossing disaster - I tried embossing the bottom tier sides with a tree shaped stamp - looked horrible so I spent over 15 minutes smoothing it completely out of the cake) Oh yes - the carnations (yes they are supposed to be carnations) never dried properly so look pretty wilty on topicon_smile.gif Anyhoo - question is this - is it just a bad first experience with chocolate wasc or do others have this problem?? I really want to use the recipe again because it's utterly delicious but can't if I can't decorate with iticon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif Very upsetting situation...
LL

6 replies
onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 7

I think the cake looks stunning! I SO want the recipes! I do prefer death by chocolate!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:04am
post #3 of 7

You're too kind but thanks - I guess if it was a real disaster Iwouldn't have had the guts to post iticon_smile.gif Here's the link to the awesome tasting cake thoughicon_smile.gif http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7367/amazing-chocolate-wasc-cake

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 7

I've had exactly the same problem with the Chocolate WASC every single time I've made it. It tastes great, but it crumbles. I even had a friend of mine tell me that the one I made for her was a nightmare to cut - it just fell apart as soon as the knife touched it. Instead, I've gone back to the extender recipe for chocolate cake that I used previously. The customers who've had both tell me they prefer the extender recipe one over the WASC. Here's what I use:

1 box Pillsbury devil's food cake mix
1 box Jell-o brand devil's food instant pudding
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup oil

I don't even like chocolate cake, but I love this one!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 7

Chocolate cakes are a pita to ice. I always crumb coat my (cold) cakes to prevent crumbs. If your icing is very stiff, this will tear up a (moist) cake. Thin the icing out come and never let your spatula touch the cake. Always put your next glob of icing in the previous area you've iced. This sounds confusing but Edna explains this really good in her youtube video.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7

Just throwing an idea out there... One of the tiers of my SIL's baby shower cake was a "Dr. Pepper Chocolate Cake". It was moist, dense and tasty. I had no problems with icing and covering with fondant, and no noticable problems when it was being cut. I didn't even refrigerate/freeze it before crumb coating. It IS a scratch recipe, though. So if you're short on time, this might not work for you because of some of the steps involved. icon_wink.gif

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 7

Sugarlover3,
please pm the recipe! looking for a delish chocolate cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%