How Do I Attach Arms To A Stand Up Figure?

Decorating By teachingmyself Updated 14 Sep 2009 , 8:09am by G_Cakes

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a figure that will be standing up and have everything figured out but the arms. The arms will be raised somewhat and they need to be able to hold some weight. Not too heavy of weight though.

My plan is for two large dowels for legs with a base support attached at the waist and from there a dowel attached in the center of this base long enough to support the head. There will also be a base at shoulder height to support the head.

Am I making sense? icon_confused.gif

Any help is appreciated.

6 replies
sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 7

I was just going to ask someone how they wire or whatever their gumpaste figures together. People, horses, animals, etc. This is probably addressed somewhere on this site. Anyone know where I could read about it?
j.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:45am
post #3 of 7

Rather than making separate arms, I prefer to cut a piece of gumpaste that looks like a fat "T" and then form the arms from the tops of the "T" shape. That way, you don't have to try to keep them on with toothpicks. I haven't had great success with that.

You will just need to prop them up the way they need be and let them dry completely. I use whatever is the right height, such as a small glass, a bottle of food color, whatever works.

Using all one piece will make it a lot stronger for holding weight. Just put a shallow impression at the shoulder to make it look like a seam in the shirt. Of course, it has to be a long sleeved shirt. Then a small toothpick in the end for the hands. HTH.

teachingmyself Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you Ruth for your instructions on a gumpaste figure, but my guy is going to be roughly 17" in height. I know, I should have stated that in the original post, do you have ideas for a bigger figure?

teachingmyself Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 7

icon_sad.gif No other ideas anyone?

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #6 of 7

I don't really have anything that will help you but I know how frustrating it is when you're looking for a response so I'll bump ya! icon_lol.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 8:09am
post #7 of 7

Hmmm 17" tall...I have never done one that big but was thinking maybe using a lollipop stick or wooden shish kabob skewer right through the shoulders.

I would probably let the arms dry or stiffen up a little then attach them.

Good Luck and HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%