Do You Ache When It Rains?

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm by Mike1394

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 12

It hasn't rained here in ages. The last couple of days it has been raining and I can barely walk. I broke my leg in Feburary and have a metal plate and 8 screws in there now. The doc said that some arthritis pain in the leg would be normal after my injury and the resulting surgery.

But ouch! I didn't expect this. For any of you who hurts when it rains, is there any medication good for it? I don't especially feel like going back to the doc if I'm just going to hear that I have to live with it, and to take ibuprofen (I'm already taking that, and tylenol). I don't want any pain pills that will make me goofy either...when I broke my leg I was on that kind long enough to go through withdrawal when I stopped taking them...not fun at all.

Any advice?

11 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 12

If you can take tylenol, take one of them and one ibuprofen. My orthopaedic surgeon taught me this, and it works better than two of one kind.

I have chronic pain to begin with, because I have severe rheumatoid arthritis. When it rains, gets too cold, too hot, or is just damp outside, I have pain. The more drastic the weather, the more pain I have.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 12

I was in a car wreck when I was 16. I have a huge 8" scar on my left arm with 2 pins in my upper arm bone. My arm gets really stiff when there is going to be a significant weather change. It's never been bad enough to make me think medication, though. I just always thought it was kinda neat to have that little forecaster in me! icon_biggrin.gif

My dad had numerous hip surgeries and he would be in severe pain in bad weather, so I understand what you're going thru.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 12

I swear by aleve. I take two when the stiffness is bad and it keeps it at bay for the day.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:53am
post #5 of 12

I was also going to suggest Aleve.Hubby takes it for his arthritis.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 12

My DH takes Aleve for his arthritis too!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #7 of 12

I have arthritis in my knees and I always get pains due to weather changes.

I just started looking into alternatives for help with my condition. I've been reading some good things about omega 3s in fish or flaxseed oil. Google around and see what you think.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #8 of 12

I've been taking some herbal stuff...I actually hurt when it doesn't rain too, it just hurts more when it's raining, and the herbal stuff seems to help with the everyday aches. I'll look up the omega 3's, I used to make flaxseed rolls all the time but stopped when I got hurt.

I will have to get some Aleve, since that seems to be the thing to take.

It's encouraging to think that eventually it might just feel tight and not actually painful.

I'm thinking that I need to lose some weight (well I know I do). I mean, that maybe if there was less pressure on it then it wouldn't be so achy.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 3:51am
post #9 of 12

I get bad pressure headaches.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 5:54am
post #10 of 12

I have a 10 inch scar that is hiding the work of a great surgeon who put me back together that has a broken bone permanently held together with countless pins, bolts and other do dads holding my bone together forever due to an accident.

Living in the great Pacific Northwest we have huge amounts of rain and cold. I can always tell when rain is coming and how cold and bad it will be by the intensity of my pain.

___

I can't get this to sound good so I'm giving up... I have a migraine that I'm almost rid of and I'm woozy from the meds, and not feeling good. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

I promise to make more sense once this stupid migrane is finally gone. Hopefully another good nights sleep and one more round of meds and I'll be right as rain.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:21am
post #11 of 12

I always get migraines whenever it rains. I wake up with them even before the rain is here, just the low pressure makes them come.
My friend used to always have pain in her knees with cold/wet weather. Didn't help as we grew up in Toronto and it was always a wet cold during the winter there.

I hope you feel better soon Texas Rose.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm
post #12 of 12

Hell I ache when it's sunny out LOLOL.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%