Ques. Re: Fondant W/cream Cheese Frosting Underneath

Decorating By StefanieLRyan Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm by StefanieLRyan

StefanieLRyan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StefanieLRyan Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a cake for a family baby shower on Sunday morning and the mom to be, has requested carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, however she'd like the cake covered in fondant so it has a "clean" look.

I've heard not to refridgerate a fondant covered cake, but at the same time, I don't assume you can leave a cream cheese frosted cake covered in fondant out at room temperature other than when displaying it before it is cut.

Any suggestions in regards to a timeline, when to frost, when to cover in fondant, taking into consideration the cream cheese frosting, as well as whether or not to refridgerate a fondant covered cake would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Stefanie

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 3

Here's a recipe for a cream cheese buttercream that doesn't need to be refrigerated: http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

I have put a fondant-covered cake in the fridge with no problems at all...everyone talks about the cake sweating, and I live in a humid area so I figured I would have a disaster, but it worked beautifully.

StefanieLRyan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StefanieLRyan Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Texas Rose...I have a cream cheese frosting recipe that I'm quite fond of, so I guess I'll try refridgerating the cake with the fondant on it (and hope it doesn't sweat or have any other issues). Thank you also very much for the link to the cream cheese frosting that doesn't require refridgeration.

Quick question (if you don't mind), is Butavan available at grocery stores or craft stores that have a baking aisle? I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to order any online in time for this weekend. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%