Convection Ovens???????

Decorating By Florimbio Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 12:03am by peg818

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I am about to get a new oven to make my kitchen more cake friendly...I have heard that Convection ovens are not the best for cakes...Is this true??? I know that you need to lower the temp by 25% but I have heard on baking blogs that the cakes just do not cook well and dry out....Any help would be greaticon_smile.gif

thanks

4 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 5

I worked in a kitchen with them. I did not like them for cakes. They never turned out as well as a traditional oven. ...But for cream puffs and other pastrys, I would only use a covenction oven. I guess it would be your preference, but maybe your could perfect your recipes to your oven and be happy. I would not try it personally.

Marcelita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcelita Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 5

I own a General Electric oven that has the option to "bake" or "convection bake", so for cakes I turn the convection off but when I use puff pastry I use the convection and it works beautifully. HTH. icon_wink.gif

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 5

I don't actually bake my cakes with the convection fan on...but if I open the oven to rotate the pans, I do put the fan on for about 30 seconds...just to circulate the hot air...but I don't actually bake the cake with the convection fan on...never works out right.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:03am
post #5 of 5

I bake with convection for everything. There is a big difference with baking with the commercial ovens at work then the home convection. The home fan is not nearly as strong as the commercial, there for i don't find that i have any blowing of batter or anything like that.

My home oven is a ge profile. with the option to bake standard or convection.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%