Need Some Advice...

Decorating By wernie Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm by CakeWhizz

wernie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wernie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 3

My grandmother's birthday is the weekend of the 17th of October and I want to make a special cake for her. I was thinking to try and make my first hatbox cake. Part of the problem is that I live 3 hours away so I was hoping to make the gumpaste flowers ahead of time and then the Thurs/Fri before when I am at my parent's house I would make the cake and cover it with fondant. So, I'm wondering - how far ahead can I make gumpaste flowers? I haven't really done much with gumpaste flowers before so I was also wondering what would be the easiest 2 or 3 flowers for a beginner (plus I'd have to buy the cutters and I am a poor student so I want to keep supplies minimal!). I have a bone tool and I think a daisy cutter and was planning on just using egg cartons or other improvised flower formers. Any tips/help would be appreciated!! Thanks icon_smile.gif

Forgot to add- I didn't know if something like the Wilton beginning gumpaste flower kit is worth buying for the cutters in there. Also, I'd probably just plan to use the Wilton gumpaste maybe mixed with a little fondant.

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 3

Instead of buying the kit, I would buy a 5 petal cutter and learn to make roses. Then just make roses and rose buds in different colors, plus loops of ribbon for fillers, and you won't need a bunch of different cutters. Don't get the wilton 5 petal cutter though, it doesn't cut between the petals, which means you have to.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 3

You can make gumpaste flowers weeks ahead as long as they are stored in a cool dry box.

Try watching Tonedna's tutorials on youtube if you can as she is very good.
Also don't be afraid to use the cutters you have. You might also want to make a few simple
leaves to go with your flowers. Good luck, I hope your grandma likes her cake and do post the pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%