Structure Help Please! (Space For Flowers Between Tiers)

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm by EmilyGrace

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone, I've never used pillars and I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the structure of this cake I'm doing in a couple months. The cake will be a 4" and 6" square, then a space to fill with flowers and then a 9" square styrofoam tier. Whats the easiest way to make the space for the flowers with the bottom tier being styrofoam? I can't push pillars through it I guess! Do I even need pillars or can I just use a smaller styrofoam? or will that not give enough support to the top two tiers? Also, is there a trick to keeping the flowers alive between the tiers or do they usually hold up alright?
Thanks for your help!!

3 replies
EmilyGrace Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, you can just put a small diameter piece of styro on top of the 9"styro and stick the flowers into that.

For the two other tiers, of course I'd use SPS, and specifically use the multi-piece legs, using the 5" leg plus 1 two inch extension. That will give you 3" of airspace for flowers - the perfect amount, IMO.

And yes, since you put the flowers on the cake after you get to the venue (where the florist has left them for you) they hold up fine.

EmilyGrace Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Leah, How exactly do I stick the flowers into the styro? Isn't it to hard? Should I use florists foam instead? Or will that be to soft to support the top tiers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%