Red Buttercream?!

Decorating By CakeJediChic Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm by CakeJediChic

CakeJediChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeJediChic Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 5

i know ive seen this somwehre, but the search isnt working right for me. how do i get a deep red buttercream? im using gel colors, the americolor if it makes a difference. i used the red but its just a light red/dark pink

4 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 5

You just have to keep adding coloring to it till you get the color desired, it does take more to make a true red. I buy the red americolor in the big bottles just for that reason.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5

Coloring white buttercream red is a nightmare for me, so I make whole batches of red buttercream and freeze leftovers. Use supermarket liquid red food color or red airbrush color for the liquid called for in your buttercream recipe and you won't need much additional gel color to get the shade you want. Also remember that color will deepen overnight, so you want to make the red buttercream the day before you need it. HTH!

CakeJediChic Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 5

ok thanks! i added a bit of green to try and help the color and that helped, but the buttercream is very glossy now. im making red and yellow swirled cupcakes for a kindergarten class. they are going to have little stained mouths lol

CakeJediChic Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 5

thanks Beckalita! unfortunately the red is for in a just afew hours! im making my first cuppie order and first red bc. its darkened a bit and i think it'll be good next to the yellow and look red enough. so another question i didnt think about -- will my red bleed onto my yellow?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%