Do I Need Support For This Topper??

Decorating By rooch Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm by MrCake01

rooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooch Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 11

hi all. i am about to finish a single tier 4 layer fondant covered cake that has a pregnant (very pregnant) lady sitting perched on the edge. Normally, I would never dowel a single tier cake, however, this cake is travelling from boston to new york!!!!! should i put a couple of dowels underneath her and a small cardboard round under her skirt to support her? I am worried that if she is on the cardboard, she might slip off even though I planned on covering the cardboard with a wee bit of fondant for her to stick to. Or, do I just do what i always do and just glue her directly to the cake without support? any help would be appreciated!

10 replies
Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 11

What is the pregnant lady made of? How heavy is she? I always say...better safe than sorry. I often use drinking straws for support...so much easier than dowels, and the can support quite a bit of weight if you put them in straight. (Just be sure they arent the "bendy" kind.)

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 11

rooch,
Would it be possible for the person carrying the cake to put the topper on at the party.
Mrcake01

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 11

Are you worried about the weight of the figure sinking into the cake? or its own weight causing it to fall (fly!) off the cake during the drive? or both???

I think MrCake has a great idea. If that idea isn't feasible, I would probably use two thin dowels... one to support the weight, and the other one which would pierce the bottom of the figure to hold her on.

rooch Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 11

thanks guys. i am worried about both; her weight and her falling off. i wouldn't be afraid of her weight if she weren't traveling so far. I was originlly going to package the girl separately but i hate to present her with this cake detached. I also have a shopping bag and gift boxes to place next to the lady.

MrCake01 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 11

rooch,
Since you are going to do all of that why don't you make a little scene and glue to either a fondant or gum paste base. The base would give it some support and you could put a few dowels underneath if needed. Depending on when the cake is due I would use some Wiltons Gum-tex or other comparable product to increase drying time and strength to the fondant or gum paste
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCake01

rooch,
Since you are going to do all of that why don't you make a little scene and glue to either a fondant or gum paste base. The base would give it some support and you could put a few dowels underneath if needed. Depending on when the cake is due I would use some Wiltons Gum-tex or other comparable product to increase drying time and strength to the fondant or gum paste
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

Agreed.

rooch Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 11

The lady has been drying for weeks so that is good. Do you think I should put a piece of cardboard under her? I can cover that with fondant and will that give more support? Thanks!

MrCake01 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 11

Rooch,
Yes cover a piece of cardboard with fondant but glue all the pieces (the lady, shopping bag and gift boxes) this will keep it from sliding off the cake and use a few dowels underneath. You may want to completely cover the cardboard meaning underneath so you can use glue there too. That way everything will be set and all one piece. No sliding should occur. Also give the lady carrying that cake a piece of foam to set the cake on, this will absorb some of the shock of the ride and this should work just fine.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

rooch Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks. That sounds good. I just hate to have the bags etc on the board too because you'll definitely see the seam of one fondant on the other large fondant cake. But you r right! Thanks!

MrCake01 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 11

rooch,
can you color the fondant the same or maybe design the sign to look like she is laying on a bed or couch, and color your fondant accordingly.
Mrcake01

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%