Cream Cheese And Fondant Question.........

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 4:54am by Rylan

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing 2 cakes for this weekend and they both are red velvet with cream cheese frosting. I plan to cover them both in fondant but I'm worried about the shelf life of the cream cheese. 1 cake is due Saturday and the other is due Sunday. I won't have time other than today to cover these cakes. I really wanted to get them both done today, but I have gone back and forth in my mind about spoiling. Help CC family!! I need some advice before I throw these cakes together!
Aimee

5 replies
TabLea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabLea Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 6

Cream cheese has to be kept pretty cold.(don't want anyone to get sick) I did 1 cake ever with cream cheese and as soon as it got to room temp it started sliding and melting my fondant away icon_sad.gif Good thing it was for my mom .... I wonder about the premade cream cheese frosting from like Betty Crocker wonder if it has to be kept cold....Also I have heard of people making BC with a cream cheese flavoring...not sure how it tastes though.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 6

Check under the recipe section. Choose the fondant/gumpaste selection and scroll until you find Cream Cheese Fondant. I have not used this recipe but it has good reviews and may be the answer to this issue. You could still fill your cake with cream cheese frosting, cover with the fondant and then you can refrigerate without breakdown and sliding.hth icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 6

I have done several cakes with cream cheese and Fondant icing. I put the fondant on two days before due with no problems. As long as you keep your cake in a cool dry place you are fine. I use a Crusting Cream Cheese icing.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 6

Food safety guidelines are very clear on not leaving cream cheese out, even if it is in a "cool" place. However, many CC members refrigerate fondant successfully as a routine process. I put my fondant-covered cakes in a box to stick them in the fridge. Good luck!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 4:54am
post #6 of 6

Refrigerate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%