Found A Kitchen, Any Advised Will Be Greatly Appreciated

Business By wendy1273 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm by PinkLisa

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,
I found a small restaurant for rent a few blocks from my home in Central New Jersey and I think is perfect, it has the right amount of space and the owners are going to make some changes to accommodate the business.
I can't remember right now how many sq feet he said but is in a small plaza and he is renting it for $1500 at month including taxes and maintenance fee, I asked him if the price is negotiable and he let me belief that it is.

It has two refrigerators, one freezer, a refrigerated display case, a small stove with small oven. I have to buy an oven and a bigger mixing machine.

I'm so nerves because this is a big step, I don't know if just concentrate on custom cakes and have people come in only by appointments or if I should have an open door and sell cupcakes and cookies.

This is my first time with my own business and I need all the advise possible.

Food handling license?
inspection?
insurance?
Any advised is welcome.

Thank you
LL
LL

7 replies
homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 4:58am
post #2 of 8

Wendy,

Please contact:
Rutgers Food Innovation Center
450 East Broad Street (Route 49)
Bridgeton, NJ 08302
856-459-1900
Email: [email protected]

This is an organization that works with small food processors in the state of NJ and I think they might be able to assist you, perhaps better than asking for information in this forum.

The Rutgers Food Innovation Center is a unique business incubation and economic development accelerator program, which provides business and technology expertise to start-up and established food companies in the mid-Atlantic region, and utilizes its outreach capacity to reach food and agribusinesses throughout the world. In completing our mission, our Food Innovation Center team, combined with the vast resources at Rutgers University and strategic partners weâve developed throughout the nation, provides assistance in business development, market research, product and process development, workforce development and training, regulations and compliance support, and quality assurance and food safety systems.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 8

Wow! Very nice space! No advice, but congrats and best wishes!

wendy1273 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Wow! Very nice space! No advice, but congrats and best wishes!

Thank you!

peachcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachcake Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 8

Congrats! Love your set up. Lots of room. My SIL and I are almost ready to open our bakery. We had to buy everything. It's small but a start. We are in Georgia, first business venture for me. I am excited and nervous too. Just make sure you cross all the t's and dot the I's. We are finding out all sorts of things we have to do. I'd call the local county where you will be and ask them what you need and who to talk to. It seems from our experience, everybody has their own set of rules to go by. The state,county and city. They all keep coming up with different rules and what you have to have. It might just be Georgia though, sometimes we're pretty screwed up. Good Luck on your new adventure.

Phyllis

wendy1273 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachcake

Congrats! Love your set up. Lots of room. My SIL and I are almost ready to open our bakery. We had to buy everything. It's small but a start. We are in Georgia, first business venture for me. I am excited and nervous too. Just make sure you cross all the t's and dot the I's. We are finding out all sorts of things we have to do. I'd call the local county where you will be and ask them what you need and who to talk to. It seems from our experience, everybody has their own set of rules to go by. The state,county and city. They all keep coming up with different rules and what you have to have. It might just be Georgia though, sometimes we're pretty screwed up. Good Luck on your new adventure.

Phyllis

Thank you so much, it is very nerve wrecking to think about everything you have to do to open the place, I called the health inspector and he is going to meet with me to talk about what I need.
I also have to go and get my food handling license this week.
I feel that my head is going to explode with all the little details I have to think about.
The place was a commercial kitchen before so I don't have to do a lot but I have to get a new oven.

Thank you again and good luck with your business.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 8

love your place!

the health dept peeps will tell you every thing you need to know...i don't know about your state...but here the food handlers licence was prett easy to get.

i had to have the fire marshall come as well as the building inspector before i could open...but it was no big whoop.

how great that it comes with so much stuff!

let us know what happens!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 8

That space looks great! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%