Pricing Cupcakes

Baking By chocomama Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 12:54am by Kiddiekakes

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 7

I need to give a quote on 30 cupcakes with a circus theme and the client gave me some ideas that she liked, but I don't know how to price them. The first one would require a ton of work. How do others price their cupcakes, esp. when each one requires special attention?

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3500000/The-Circus-cupcakes-3551968-600-600.jpg

http://www.twiggi.com.au/store/pc/catalog/thumb/cb11_large.jpg_thumb.jpg

http://www.itstheicingonthecake.net/Circus%20Tent%20and%20Clown%20Cupcakes.JPG

6 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 7

Not sure on what to price but I am sure that you don't want to do option 3... Those clown heads freak me out!! icon_surprised.gif

annl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annl Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 7

I agree, the first choice is a TON of work, the third choice is creepy and VERY messy to transport. I'd probably go with the second, but not make any of the faces 3-D, just use flat pieces of fondant in layers to make the facial features.

When I price "premium" cupcakes like this, I start at $3 and add more for fondant and my time. I'd probably ask $5 for each of those. I'm near Chicago and this price would not be too high for my area, though your's may be different.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 7

WOW, those are 3 very different choices!!

Do not underprice yourself on the first choice - that is a lot of work for each cupcake.
I would say at least $8-$10 each for the animal ones.

The second choice is very cute but hard to see the exact detail on each - maybe $5-$6 each?

The last has those creepy Wilton clown heads!! Try to steer her away from those!!!
I did do a cool cake for Course 2 where the clowns were drunk!!

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 7

LOL! Yes, I hate those clowns, too! ICK! I can't believe anyone thinks they're cute. Blech. thumbsdown.gif

For plain cupcakes, I usually charge about $2/piece and I fill them (unless asked not to do so) so I was thinking about $4-5 for the middle ones. I was just really thrown by the first photo b/c I've never had to do so much modeling. I think $10 may be the lowest I could go. Hmmmm...

Thanks for the ideas!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 7

I think the 2nd option would by far be the best. The first cupcakes were amazing - but very time consuming for you and expensive for the client. And as everyone said, the 3rd ones weren't very cute.

So I'd say $5 a cupcake for the 2nd option.

Don't forget to post a pic!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 7

I would charge $3.00 per cupcake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%