onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 34

Seriously I should be able to get this!

It TASTES AMAZING.

However this is what I've got.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/luvmarried/baking/100_2987.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/luvmarried/baking/100_2988.jpg

I creamed the 'crisco' (I used off brand with 2.5g sat fat) with warm non dairy creamer with dream whip dissolved in it (about 1/3 c water to start- I've added more because it was SUPER thick) then I added 1cish C&H powdered sugar then I added the rest while on speed 1. Then I cranked it up to 4 and it's still @ 4.

What did I goof on? Is it gonna get better??

33 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 34

When I make it, I mix the dream whip with the powdered sugar, add the crisco and cold liquid creamer, and mix it up. Maybe mixing the dream whip with the liquid did something weird? Or maybe it was having the liquid warm?

onlymadaresane Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 34

Well craptastic. LOL

I'm supposed to be making class buttercream for class tonight. But I just hear that's AWFUL and don't wanna waste PS on it! LOL

I guess I'll do it anyway. Thanks for the help!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 34

What if you put the BC in the fridge for a while and then try beating it again?

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 34

When I made Indydebi's BC, I made sure to leave the mixer at the lowest speed for a longer time so as not to whip too much air into it.

Although, looking at your pics it looks to me like it needs even more mixing. It just doesn't look that smooth to me. If it's too thick, I would also add a bit more of the milk and beat again.

onlymadaresane Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 34

Okay.... I'm gonna stick it into the fridge and wait a while. I'm getting ready to make the kids lunch...then right before class ( I went ahead and made the Wilton --although I had to mix in the meringe into each container as I forgot to add it while in the KA) I'll rewhip and see how it looks.

I had it running on 4 for 10 or so minutes....it tastes light and has a good flavor. I'm just in a -uhhh moment- I'm KNOW I can use it for something... crossing my fingers that rewhipping after putting it in the fridge will help. Thanks for the advice- you gals are why I love CC!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 34

Run the mixer for about 15 minutes. There's no such thing as overbeating this stuff. The fat needs to be pulverized.

I never pay attention to what it looks like in the bowl or even when I put it on the cake. Once I bench-scrape it smooth, then let it crust so I can Melvira it, it's nice and smooth.

I have found that when I use it the next day, I take a big spoon and beat it a few times and its super smooth, too.

I'm making a 5-tier cake for a friend's daughter this week .... I'll try to remember to take the camera and take some step-by-step pics.

onlymadaresane Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 34

So even though I've already added all the PS to it I can go a head and stick it back in the mixer @ speed 4 for 15+ minutes and it should help?

I'll give it another go. indydebi- you are a saint. Thank you so much for the help!

onlymadaresane Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #9 of 34

Okay so this frosting was wayyyy to fuffy and airy. NOT smooth for me at all. I'm not entirely sure what happened.

I don't have a good buttercream that does NOT involve BUTTER! Which we all know melts! icon_razz.gif

I'll keep on trucking and maybe get lucky with this one after indydebi gets a video up!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 34

In indydebi's recipe I use milk...as well as other buttercream recipes. My friend tried it with water and had no luck with it. Taste and texture was different than mine. My family loves the taste of this buttercream over the others I have used. I find it smooths easily.

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 34

Ok, I got some pics today thru the crumb coat process. I'm going to post them one at a time (because I always get them in the wrong order when I do them all at once icon_redface.gif ), so be patient with me!

This is the crisco, dream whip, milk, vanilla and about 3-4 cups of p.sugar (in a triple-plus batch). Fat has been pulverized. There are no particles visible in the mixture.
LL

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 34

These two pics show the icing in the bowl .... one is what it looks like after 5 minutes of beating.... one is after 15 minutes of beating.
LL
LL

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 34

After icing has been applied (crumb coat) then a bench scraper was used for the intial smoothing.
LL

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 34

Crumb coat after its been Melvira'd.
LL

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 34

Bonus pics: Debi's Finger Push Test for consistency!
LL
LL

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:04pm
post #16 of 34

Bonus pic #2: How Debi measures the crisco.

The spoon is about 1.5 cups of crisco. Recipe calls for 1-1/3 cups for every 2 lbs of p.sugar. When I make a batch, I use a 7 lb bag, so I will need "slightly more".
LL

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 34

So let's see how close I get ..... 1 cup plus 1/3 cup plus "slighly more" left on the spoon. Wow, I AM awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

I actually measured each one when making this batch and at the end of the batch, my "eyeball" measurements worked out perfect!

So this is what I mean by "until it looks right"! icon_lol.gif
LL

kitkatkit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitkatkit Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #18 of 34

do you pack in the crisco icon_confused.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #19 of 34

Excellent photos! I made indydebi's with milk and substituting hot dairy creamer for the milk and it came out great both times. I would probably add more sugar to your batch and beat, beat, beat. It's a good icing and it does work and is reliable. I beat the Dream Whip into the shortening. i do need to start beating it all for 15 minutes. i've been beating way shorter than that.

babycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes1 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #20 of 34

What's Melvira'd?

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #21 of 34

It's a method for getting really smooth buttercream. A CC'er named Melvira shared her method, using a paper towel, fondant roller, computer paper....several steps for smoothing.

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #22 of 34

I always line the measuring cup with plastic wrap before using it for shortening, or butter. No clean-up.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 34

Love the pics, Debi, and am glad to see that mine comes out just like yours!

I just always start with everything BUT the ps and cream that until there are absolutely no lumps... smooth as silk. I use creamer and I do warm it up. That's just a conglomeration of other methods I've accumulated over the years. I add just one pound of ps first, and after it is well incorporated, I add the other. Then I beat for about 15 minutes like Debi says. I have not had a batch fail me yet!

Debi's and Earlene's (cream cheese bc) are the only two bc recipes I use now... all others have been tossed! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #24 of 34
txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatkit

I do.

sweetcakesbyrebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyrebecca Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #26 of 34

GREAT PICS! very helpful. I use a sponge roller from the craft store to smooth this type of buttercream. It works just as good as the paper towel method for me and is easy. The sponge is about 3 inches long and your roll it over the sides and top to get a smooth finish.

indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatkit

I do.

Yes. (That's how I was taught when first learning to cook as a wee little lass! icon_biggrin.gif )

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:39am
post #28 of 34

Ok, Ive used the Wilton recipe we are taught in class, and used it for sometime, then last year I got another recipe from Diane on here...she owns a bakery...and it calls for half/half, and whipped cream...used that and loved it alot better than wilton....

Now Im seeing this one, that calls for milk...can I use half/half and whipped crm? or just one or both, or what??? lol, SORRY...

And where can I get a good foam roller? cheap? And do you crumb coat, MEL. METHOD, and then ice the cake and do it again?....

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #29 of 34

Sorry this answer comes late, but in case you still need the answers...

you can actually use just about any milky type liquid you want from heavy cream to half and half to flavored coffee creamers, and I actually used vanilla soy milk because I thought I had half and half and did not. So experiment.

foam roller from lowes, michaels, home depot

crumb coat, melvira, ice, melvira, beautiful!

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Crumb coat after its been Melvira'd.

What is Melvira'd??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%