Painting On Mmf

Baking By traceyjade Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm by luv2bake6

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there I am decorating some wedding cookies and I have to make 90 wedding dresses and 90 tuxedos. My question is that I want to try to do these as quick as possible so can I just make a couple of batches of white MMF and for the tuxes paint them with black food coloring? Will this way work? I figure I can just accent with black royal after. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 10

That will work, except that it's hard to really paint the edges without ending up painting on the cookie. Also, if you want it to ever dry, you have to thin your food color with vodka, and sometimes that breaks down the black color into green or purple after it's been sitting on the fondant a while.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with Texas Rose. Your painting will probably resemble watercolors and then fade. What about a choc fondant or black colored sanding sugar? You could outline the lapels and such with black royal and fill in with the sanding sugar lightly. Very easy to do and will quickly attract the guests eyes. If you decide to take that road I would recommend adding some sparkle to your wedding dresses too cause you don't want the groom to out do the bride.hth icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 10

Which do you gals think would be easier - painting white fondant black, or just making black fondant and using that?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Which do you gals think would be easier - painting white fondant black, or just making black fondant and using that?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I've done it both ways and you can paint it black as long as you use straight color, no alcohol mixed in...but that takes a long time to dry. So I would make black fondant if I were doing it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 10

I wouldn't paint it.......in order to get it completely black and not be streaky you'll have to use a lot of gel color and it's likely to color peoples mouths black when they eat the cookies. I would either color the fondant black or cut the pieces from white fondant and stick them on a piece of cardboard or something and airbrush them black, then put them on the cookie once dry.

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 10

True about the black mouths syndrome. I guess that would be ok if it was a halloween/zombie wedding. I would go the black fondant route and would purchase already made black since a true black is difficult to make. Plus black coloring sometimes is bitter like the red. hth icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone! Does anyone have any idea how many batches of MMF I would need for 90 cookies icon_confused.gif I think everone is right about making the fondant black. Thanks again thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #9 of 10

depends on how thick you roll it...but I would say 2 batches should be more than enough. How much does one batch make of your recipe?? I wouldn't think you would need more than 2 lbs. max.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 10

I would definately stay away from painting large areas and just use colored fondant. The painting leaves streaks and it really doesn't look too nice. Good luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%