Never Made A Cake

Decorating By wynniejax Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm by MrCake01

wynniejax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wynniejax Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 7

Naturally, I've made the usual standard cake with butter cream, but I've never really stacked multiple cakes or decorated with fondant.

I'm totally hooked on the shows like Ultimate Cake Challenge, Amazing Wedding Cakes, and Cake Boss. I want to make cake art too!

I need advice or someone to direct me where to read and learn. Like the best cake recipe for sculpting, do I make fondant or buy it, what are the basic tools needed for decorating, etc. . . .

I love topsy turvy cakes, but how to do you make one? Is a pan shaped that way or do you cut it like that? If you shape it, then how do you cut even layers?

Do you eat fondant? My sister and I go back n forth on this. I've never had a cake with fondant. She has and says it's gross and you don't eat it.

I really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

PS. I've decided my first cake will be for Halloween.

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 7

Tell your sister that there's only two reasons fondant is gross - either the layer is too thick, making it for an uncomfortable chew (think old bubble gum) or it's a bad brand/recipe.

I admire your enthusiasm, but you should start by learning how to work with fondant and gumpaste, and how to stack/tier cakes, and you can do that by taking the Wilton classes.

Then you have to learn how to structure your cake so it doesn't crush down on itself, and how to build the support structures that keep the cakes upright.

And above all, practice!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 7

wynniejax,
When I took the Wilton Courses I learned a lot. From the beginning and the basics to Fondant, gum paste, and stacking cakes. My suggestion to you is to take the all 4 of the Wilton classes. It will teach you the basic and then more advanced techniques. I learned a lot and enjoyed the classes.
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 7

There are also many tutorials here on CC. There is one for the Topsy Turvy. Also some on Youtube. Check out Tonedas on Youtube. Wilton classes are the best place to start IMO.

wynniejax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wynniejax Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all the advice! I guess I'll be signing up for some classes!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:44am
post #6 of 7

I agree with the pp, classes are a good start. There are lots of tutorials here on cc and videos on youtube. I made my first batch of marshmallow fondant yesterday in my KA after I watched a video on youtube. It turned out great and it tastes great! I always stayed away from fondant because I heard from a lady at a cake shop that it was awful. I'm glad I finally tried it! Good Luck in your cake quest!

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 7

wynniejax,
I went to the Wilton website for you and (if i'm correct by you living in Minneapolis, Mn) there are a lot of Wilton Method classes in that area. Looks like mostly at Michaels and some at Jo Ann Superstore. I finished my last class in July and at that time the Courses were half off. In my area they are normally i think $35.00 for 4 classes which is one per week (but you still have to buy some extra supplies) which made them $17.50 and last time i heard about a month ago the classes starting in August were still half off. Also the classes i took were always on the same night of the week and from 6-8pm. They were very conveinent. I really liked the Wilton courses.

Also a tip for you that has helped me. Go to Michaels website and register and they will send you a really good coupons. Also i don't know if you have a hobby lobby near by but the best coupon i've seen is 40% off your entire purchases of Wilton products which i think runs every couple of months or so.

Enjoy your classes, and when you get started good it becomes addictive,
Mrcake01

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%