Plastic Dowels Just Like Pillars Do

Decorating By prayful Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 3:36pm by prayful

prayful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayful Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 11:45am
post #1 of 3

I am making a 3 tiered cake for Saturday for a family friend's 50th wedding anniversary. Can I use plastic dowels in replace for pillars to support my floating tiers where I will put gumpaste flowers around each spaces. I plan not to use separator plates either but only the cake board on each tier, how can I support the cakes from falling.

Or if I will just use pillars with no separator plates, will the cakes be sturdy?

Please help me, this is my first wedding cake.

2 replies
jmchao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmchao Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 3

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I would think that, if I'm understanding correctly-which I may not be, if you only try to balance the cake on the plastic dowels, then there's nothing to actually support the cake from sliding off or tipping over. Why are you opposed to using the separator plates? My understanding is that they have the little "feet" underneath meant to sit inside of the support tubes to provide stability from slipping/sliding off.

prayful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayful Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 3

you understood me correctly. I wanted to use dowels because if I use pillars I would poke holes on my cakes bigger than if I use dowels. and you are correct also that I'm worried about the support for my cake on top of the dowels. Also, I do not want to spend more money coz I didnt gain any from this. It was my fault that I asked only for the materials cost coz they're our family friend, and I don't want to ask again. I got separators and 4 pcs pillars too. thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%