Do I Buy The Off Brand Or Crisco?

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 2:48am by debster

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 6

Okay. So I'm getting ready to order the fantastic looking DVD by sugarshack on buttercream.

I'm pretty sure it calls for hi-ratio shortening..can that be subbed?

I hear a lot of problems with Crisco after they took out the trans fat. I've never known it any other way... Is that related to hi-ratio??

I found some off brand of shortening that has like 2.5g of transfat per serving. Would that be an acceptable substitute?

Oh and I've got a Kitchen Aid CLASSIC ( I think it's got a 4 1/2qt bowl- no handle on it) does the DVD break down the ratio's I'd need to make the icing fill it the way it's supposed to? Or does someone have the recipe somewhere??

I know this is a lot. But I KNOW I'm going to want to play as soon as I get done with the DVD!

I'm super excited! Thanks ladies!!

5 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 6

I only use high ratio Sweetex since the Crisco deal, but when I'm out of that I've taken the Crisco and subbed like 1/2 cup of the cheaper shotening with the trans fat and it works fine. No air bubbles that way for me that was my problem. I like the high ratio due to the fact it feels less greasy on the lips and tongue. Just sub a little of the trans fat and it works fine.

I forgot to add Sharon's recipe is a double recipe for the 6 quart and I cut it in half a single recipe for the 4 1/2 quart.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 6

i can never find anything with transfat around here, even the western family "crisco" is transfat free..

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:22am
post #4 of 6

alrighty! I've got my off brand crisco (I've got to make a batch for class tomorrow) so I'm just gonna give it a shot!

Single Recipe for me!

Thanks!!

BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #5 of 6

I can't find anything down here either (tx, without shipping it) so with sugarshack's recipe, I use crisco, all fat coffee creamer (no water/creamer mix) and I've found that helps add some fat into the mixture to make it super smooth! HTH!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 6

I think IndyDebi adds dream whip to hers, it's the packaged dry cool whip. Maybe it's somebody else, but they say it adds enough fat to keep stuff from acting up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%