Kitchenaid 5 Quart!!!!

Decorating By nissi01 Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 2:35am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone, my DH just bought me a Kitchenaid 5 Quart Architect mixer last week. Ive been waiting almost 2 years to get one. Its an early birthday gift. Bought it in Macy's. Was $299 the girl that check me out gave me a 30% coupon and it also has a mail in rebate so I think we got a good deal.

Now Im sitting here thinking that I should of gotten the 6 Quart Architect which is kinda like the 6 quart pro one. It was almost $100.00 more for it, but I choose the one I got because it cost less. (He lost his job in Jan. and got some money from the Union he was in so he gave me this gift and I am greatfull for it I really am.)

I guess my question to you guys is I should be ok with a 5 Quart right. I mean, I occassionally make cakes but I am in mo means making a bussiness of it right now. It makes making buttercream so much easier and I love it for that. I am still farely new to decorating ( I dont even like to share my pics of what Ive done). I just feel like I probably should of gotten the other one. He did tell me to get the otherone, but I just couldnt bring my self to spend more. What do you guys think.

Thanks for your opinions. Its greatly appreciated.

12 replies
jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 13

I think you are very considerate of your husband and mindful of the situation (with the job) that you are in. You will love your 5 quart! I'm glad you were able to get one sounds like a great deal!

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 13

I got my 5 quart mixer back in March as an anniversary/house-warming-for-ourselves gift from my boyfriend and I don't regret it. Yeah, it might be cool to have the bigger one, but we got an excellent deal on it at Amazon (after rebate and everything else, came out to around $130, but was only for the 5 quart white one) and I wouldn't dream of asking for a more expensive one. Maybe someone who has had both will feel differently, but I bake all the time and have no regrets. It's a great size for everything I need.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 13

I've been using a 5qt for around 15 years and it suits me just fine.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 13

I have a 5Qt KA and use it for everything, including my MMF. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I actually used my 6QT Prof. KA and didn't like it at all! Once you start using your 5Qt, I think you'll fall in love with it. thumbs_up.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 13

I have a 5qt that I got for our first annivesary 8 years ago. I love it. I also have the 7qt cuisinart as well. Honestly, I do Sugarshacks & Indydebi's buttercream and they both do better in the 5 qt. I have been thinking about getting a 6 qt too but I think if I do get another KA, I would go back and get a 5 qt.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 13

One reason I did not get the 6 quart is I prefer the tilt head rather than the bowl lift type. Also, sometimes for smaller batches it is nice having a smaller bowl. I think you made the right decision !

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 13

I have had the 5 qt KA for about 8 to 10 years and love it. icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 13

I also love my 5 quart. I'm not sure how much 1 quart of bowl space would add. I did get a second bowl and beater for Christmas last year. That has come in handy.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 13

I have the 6 qt. Love it. HOWEVER... Your DH bought you a very nice gift, at a time that you two could use the money for something else, I'm sure. My advice... LOVE your 5 qt, and LOVE your DH. Both of them were your choice, after all! =)

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 13

I have an older model 5qt KA and I also have a new 7qt Viking. I bought the Viking after getting rid of a KA 6qt pro I purchased that did not work as well as the old Hobart made K Aid mixers. Plus the 6qt KA did not have a tilting head, which I disliked, but the Viking does. A feature I prefere.

That said.. Even having both mixers on my counter, I use my old trusty 5qt KA a lot more than I use my 7qt Viking.

My opinion only, but, I think you should opt for an extra bowl for your KA, (if thats affordable of course,) and wait for a bigger model when things are better for you and your DH financially.

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #12 of 13

Thank you guys for your opinions. I will add to my wish list for x-mas from my mom and brothers for an additional bowl, and the flat beater. My daughter would like for me to get the ice cream maker. (she loves ice cream more than cake)

Believe me when I tell you, that I have been really nice to the DH. I havent nagged at him for almost 10 days... icon_wink.gif

I am very thankful for his thoughtfulness especially during this rough time. Its been a really rough year for us. Im very lucky to have him.

Thanks again for your thoughts and I will love my 5 Quart.

Denise

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:35am
post #13 of 13

My DH bought me a KA Classic for Xmas last year (I think KA was trying to get rid of them, and Wal-Mart obliged by putting them on a big sale). It's only a 4.5 qt., and has no handle, but it's WAY better than using my hand mixer. I was using my mother's old Braun machine for awhile (which we only ever called the Bread Machine because that's all she ever made with it). It's about 30 yrs. old and a work horse. I'll probably get it when she's ready to part with it.

SO, when I do get my Cake Kitchen done (in my basement), and when I can afford to upgrade, I'll leave my KA Classic for house use ... maybe. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%