Ice Cream Cake

Decorating By melbel425 Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 2:34am by Rose_N_Crantz

melbel425 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbel425 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 14

how do i make an ice cream cake with a thin layer of cake on the bottom then ice cream then an other layer of cake then add filling then another layer of cake?...that is my idea but I'm worried that when i go to serve cake the cake will be to frozen to eat?

13 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 14

Yep it will be frozen, so are the ones you buy in the store.

Mike

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 14

Good one Mike icon_lol.gif But on a more serious note....You can use layers of cake and softened ice cream(any flavor you choose) alternate the layers in a cake ring and place in freezer to harden back up. Remove cake from freezer at least one hour before serving and it won't be too frozen or hard for eating. If cake ring sticks you can opt to place a strip of acetate in cake ring before layering your cake or you can slightly heat the cake ring with a torch to remove ring. Just slightly or you will melt your ice cream and have a mess.hth icon_biggrin.gif

melbel425 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 14

what was the point of u even taking the time to post an answer if your just gonna be a d**k bout it?...i thought this forum was to be people helping others duh!...thank you to the person that actually gave me useful information

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:18am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbel425

what was the point of u even taking the time to post an answer if your just gonna be a d**k bout it?...i thought this forum was to be people helping others duh!...thank you to the person that actually gave me useful information

You do realize you asked a Q that Baskin&Robbins along with DQ has been trying to answer also.

Mike

backermeister Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 10:52am
post #6 of 14

No problem. I'm glad you asked so now you can enjoy making your cake without that worry in your mind. Let me know how it turns out. Happy Caking! icon_biggrin.gif

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 14

thanks for posting! thumbs_up.gif I have just been asked to make an ice cream cake in the near future and I'm going to experiment with it this weekend... icon_lol.gif

Now for the next question...what would be the going rate to charge for an ice cream cake?...say a 9 x 13 with icing and decorated?...TIA!! icon_biggrin.gif

backermeister Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 14

That depends. Are you making your ice cream from scratch or using store bought? I recommend store bought for a first timer cause your outcome will be more consistent. I know that walmart has eddy's on sale almost all the time. Make sure the ice cream is a good quality cause that is the star of your cake. As far as pricing I probably would charge slightly higher than a reg cake cause this is a specialty that not everyone does. I recommend a light icing like whipped or IMBC. You can also spread complimenting preserves, hot fudge, oreo cookie crumbles, heath crunch, etc on your cake layers with the ice cream to enhance it and provide additional texture. Kinda like a sundae cake. UMMMMMMM!!!! Now I need ice cream!hth icon_biggrin.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 14

Darn, and I just spoke with another customer at a craft store who makes ice cream cakes all the time - oh well, timing is everything - too bad you didn't know about this a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping for my cake supplies!!! Good luck on your cake - I'm sure it will be beautiful - please be sure to post the picture!! AND, let us know what method worked best for you. That's something I haven't tried yet, so I will be watching this thread.

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks mm...I was thinking about using a regular BC as an icing (I use sugarshack's recipe-I'm sooo spoiled!! icon_lol.gif ) Do you think that would be okay? I've never tried the other two options you gave, and being my first time - I'd like to stick with something that's familiar to me... thumbs_up.gif Trying not to stress about it...b/c I'm gonna have another regular cake to do around the same time...so the easier the better...uknowwhatimean?! icon_wink.gif

Sugarshack's receipe is so creamy...I think it could work, but what do I know about ice cream cakes...NADA!! icon_biggrin.gif

TIA for the tips!! icon_smile.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 14

I'm not 100% sure, but aren't ice cream cakes usually make with soft serve (i.e. DQ) style ice cream? Boxed (store bought) ice cream may be too hard to work with - you may have to melt it a bit to work with it, and I don't know if it would refreeze the same. Just wondering, not stating a fact.

backermeister Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 14

Store bought is fine to use. It does have to be softened (not melted) consistency in order to scoop/spread it onto your cake layers and I've had no problem with it refreezing. I live in Florida where it is over 100 degrees and sometimes my ice cream/popsicles melt on the way home. They have always re-frozen without issues. Plus ice cream beats out soft serve anytime as far as flavor and varieties available are concerned. As far as the icing goes I'm sure the one you are comfortable with will work out fine. Just be sure that it will be able to soften properly along with your cake. But your right trying too many new things all at once probably isn't a good idea. Happy Caking! icon_biggrin.gif

melbel425 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:11am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbel425

You do realize you asked a Q that Baskin&Robbins along with DQ has been trying to answer also.

Mike

Obviously i haven't got an ice cream cake from either of those places...hhhhmmm could be why i asked the question...get a life dud...quit trolling to this place if you dont want to give helpful information and just want to try to be some sort of cake bad ass that thinks he knows everything!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #14 of 14

hey, calm down everyone. Some people just see things a little differently than others. A legitimate question may seem obvious to another. I don't know how many questions I've asked on here when I should have just thought about it for a while. I was panicked, freaked out so I ran to CC. Then like the next day I reread my post and think "of course, I knew that all along!"

I might have to side with Mike here. You asked if the cake would be frozen and he gave you a very helpful answer. Yes, it will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%