Stripes Embedded Into Fondant

Decorating By chefany Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm by chefany

chefany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefany Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 6

I have seen these cakes lately with the stripes in the fondant not on it... I tried to line up the colors and then roll out the fondant but the stripes are all wiggly...how can I do this and have the stripes clean and straight?
Chefany

5 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:51am
post #2 of 6

Have a look at this tutorial http://www.flickr.com/photos/30279130@N02/3351316108/

My sister and I had a go at doing this. The only thing I would add is to use your smoother to smooth the seams as you are going. The fondant had dried too much by the time we were finished and we couldn't smooth the joins. Also, we did our fondant layer underneath a bit too thin. It's actually not too hard once you start. A pasta maker helps to get the fondant the same thickness then we used a Wilton ribbon cutter tool to cut various thicknesses.

chefany Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Melnick! This is the closest I have found to what I want to do! Tedious but effective! Thanks for the tutorial, too.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 6

I watched one of the cake challenges the other night and they were making a flag. They put it through a sheeter but I still dont know how they got them to stay so straight. They even put the stars on and sent the entire thing through the sheeter and the stars kept thier shape. It has me stumped.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 6

I didn't watch the tutorial so I might be repeating but--

Using candy clay or chocolate plastique is an idea because it does not stretch like fondant does.

Another idea is to simply emboss the cake with lines the width of the stripes you want --I guess I mean impress the cake like with the edge of a ruler or with a bench scraper something with a nice long straight edge.

Then just paint them.

Striped ideas for you.

chefany Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Kate! there is a bakery in SF that specializes in these striped cakes and the stripes are in the fondant not on and I am dying to figure this out...perfectly straight lines too...I will post the link to their cakes as soon as I find it again...but all great ideas I will try on this next cake I have this weekend... that wants stripes..
Stephany

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%