What Is The Best Cake Mix Recipe To Use On Sculpted Cakes?

Baking By SweetDreams Updated 11 Sep 2009 , 1:49am by SweetDreams

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 10

I like to start with using a mix and wondered if there is something I can add to make the cake more stable or more of a pound cake like consistency without being dry.

Is there anything you would suggest that you have tried?

Thanks for you help!

Angela

9 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 10

1 mix (any flavor)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup sourcream (or yogurt)
4oz box pudding (flavor to match cake)
4 eggs (whites for white cake)
oil called for on box mix (I use melted butter sometimes fo a richer cake)
water called for on box (I use milk and other liquids sometimes )
1 tsp flavoring

Bake at 325 degrees until toothpick comes out clean.

I use this recipe for all my cakes, stacked and 3-D, its firm and super moist and the flavor combos are endless.

For example:
I sub strawberry yogurt for the sourcream and pureed strawberries for the water to make strawberry cake.
French Vanilla yogurt , milk and FV pudding can be used to make a FV cake, in addtion to FV extract.
For Lemon cake I use lemon zest, lemonade (from concentrate) instead of water and lemon yogurt.

SweetDreams Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 10

thank you cakemommytx,

I used your recipe and have a vanilla and pistachio cake in the oven right now. I can't wait to taste them!!

I am going to use the cakes to attempt my first topsy turvy cake tonight!

Those darn cake shows.......they are so inspiring!

CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 10

I know right, Ace of Cakes is what got me started..lol.
Ooohh I love pistachios !
I used to eat them until I got sick when I waS a kid, I just could'nt stop, sounds yummy for a cake...hmmm I might have to try it!!

Janiepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janiepie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 10

Is that regular or instant pudding? sounds great!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

1 mix (any flavor)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup sourcream (or yogurt)
4oz box pudding (flavor to match cake)
4 eggs (whites for white cake)
oil called for on box mix (I use melted butter sometimes fo a richer cake)
water called for on box (I use milk and other liquids sometimes )
1 tsp flavoring

Bake at 325 degrees until toothpick comes out clean.

I use this recipe for all my cakes, stacked and 3-D, its firm and super moist and the flavor combos are endless.

For example:
I sub strawberry yogurt for the sourcream and pureed strawberries for the water to make strawberry cake.
French Vanilla yogurt , milk and FV pudding can be used to make a FV cake, in addtion to FV extract.
For Lemon cake I use lemon zest, lemonade (from concentrate) instead of water and lemon yogurt.

Did you come up with this recipe yourself?? I use the WASC and it is something similar to this, but I see you have extra ingredients. How is the texture and taste. The WASC is a bit dense but still very good

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 10

Basically in a box mix , you can sub milk for water but don't use what is called for just use half or almost all but a 1/4 then add sourcream 3/4 or 1/2 cup and that will thicking it up and make it like a poundcake . The other recipes above work to but if u want to opt. out on the flour that day or extra pudding , this will work .

Or you can use the instant pudding and add an extra egg and sub milk instead as well and this will work . Wow to many options !

SweetDreams Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 10

I did try the above cake mix recipe from Cakemommytx and it is good. The texture is different than I am used to (a little chewy), but it worked well for my topsy turvy cake. It also took longer to bake than my regular mix cakes. It normally takes about an hour (a little less) to bake my 6" x 3" deep cake, but using this recipe, it took a little over an hour and a half for the same size pan and still could have been baked a little more. This is at 325 degrees.

CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:30am
post #9 of 10

SweetDreams-
What brand cake mix did you use?
When I make yellow or strawberry I have to use Betty Crocker, Duncin Hines and Pillsbury turn out chewy and doughy, kinda like fruitcake.
Not so yummy, but when I use BC its perfect.
So I know what you're talking about,it's happened to me before.
Sorry it did'nt turn out perfectly for you.
For white and other flavors I use Duncin Hines and have'nt had any problems, but they do take longer to bake.
It might take some trail and error to find out what mix works best for you.

Normita-
It started out as the WASC but I add the pudding for flavor and density, and now I hardly ever make the orginal WASC recipe, my white cake is a White Velvet, I add a box of white chocolate pudding and vanilla,no almond.
It's dense and moist and perfect for carving but I use it in all my cakes.
I've always wondered if it's still WASC even if it's not a white cake with almond ?

SweetDreams Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #10 of 10

Thanks cakemommytx,

I was using a Pillsbury white cake mix! So that was it. I will try BC or DH next time so that it does not come out so chewy/doughy. Thaks for the tip!

I will have to say that the pistachio cake was yummy! I also love that I used one box mix to make a 6" round, a 5" round and a 3" round (all 3" deep except 3").

Can't wait to experiment with more flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%