Sons Teacher Isnt Very Nice, What To Do??

Lounge By BabyC1985 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm by mcaulir

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #31 of 36

From the "messy writing" comment, I'm wondering if he's having trouble with his fine-motor skills? How is he in manipulating other small things. How is his hand-eye coordination in general? Does he play a lot of video games? These can actually help improve both of these areas!

Def. do NOT leave it up to the school. You have to be your child's advocate.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 11 Sep 2009 , 1:02am
post #32 of 36

My girls are in Kindergarten and Preschool and when I enroled my oldest I made an apointment to go in and observe each of the Kinder teachers. I wanted to ensure I knew what the teaching style was of each of them so I could request the teacher I felt was best for Emma. made my appointment with the principal and she let the teachers know to expect me. Now I know some of them may have acted differently than they would have if I had not been in the room but I feel I got a good idea of what they were normally like. And let me say now that I was 100% correct on which ones I did not want her around. I gave the office the teachers I would prefer and which ones I would NOT allow to teach my child.

Some may think that this was pushy or whatever but I felt it was MY responsability to give Emma the best start possible. I had a couple of horrid teachers my first few years in school and it set the tone for my entire edcucation. I HATED school and never went to college because of that.

When I started to read your post dyslexia came to mind. My little sister has it and it was not discovered untill she had been in school for a few years. The good news is that it does not have to slow you down. She is now a judge in family court and has gone further than anyone in our family has. I think your little man has what it takes to handle whatever the challenge may be. Just remember that you are his voice and it is all up to you at this point. thumbs_up.gif

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #33 of 36

Indydebi said:

When my kids have great teachers, I make sure the teacher knows we think they are a great teacher. And when they are not great teachers, that teacher the principal and once, the school board, knew what I thought and why!

I thought maybe that was a little harsh, now I am here to go on record saying-
Kudo's to you-way to go debi and everyone else on here who takes time to know who your child's teacher is!

After a few weeks of school, and Back to School Night where I greet and speak to every parent that comes-I get 2, not one, phone call from two different families asking for me, by name, to discuss a problem. Neither of them have kids in my class. I understand if this was middle school or high school. I teach 6 year olds. For pete sake-they're babies! Find out who is with them 5 hours every day.

Thanks for the vent, I feel better now.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #34 of 36

Our school has an occupational therapist come in and observe the students (at least for K and 1) near the beginning of the year and offer suggestions for the kids. If your child has terrible handwriting, that might be another thing to ask for. My son (and he is a brainiac) has bad printing, and what the OT told his teacher in K was that he had weak hand muscles and needed to increase his strength e.g. by playing with plasticine (not PlayDoh), and a couple other classrooms things that I can't remember right now. I would not in a million years have thought of that (course, all my family has bad printing). Depending on your school, maybe you could also talk to the special ed teacher about your son, since if there are going to be assessments, she will probably do at least the initial ones.

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #35 of 36

Thank you everyone, Just thought i would give you all and update, i have been into the school and everything is sorted i spoke to the teacher, and my son is now being tested for aspergers syndrome. I will let you all know how it all goes. Its a start that they can now see that something is wrong.
Thanks everyone

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #36 of 36

Glad to hear there's a move forward for you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%