Fancy Lettering

Decorating By ebear Updated 9 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm by tonedna

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone..this may seem like a silly question but how are the fancy letters with fondant done on cakes? I've found letter cut outs at Michaels but they are just simple looking. I want something a little nicer.

TIA icon_smile.gif

12 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 13

i do think you are talking about the fmm tappits.. roll out fondant or fondant/g/p mixed together .. or g/p.. let air dry a little .. press the letters into medium.. tap on table.. will pop out .sometimes you have to help with a hat pin or something to get it out.. there are some called funkie by fmm.. sold on global sugar art. and other sites.. hth.. tonedna from this site show how to use them on youtube. and on global sugar art there is a tutorial.. hth

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 13

Yes..like Icer said..tappits!
Edna icon_smile.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 13

You can also use your computer to get the font you want and print on cardstock for a pattern then cut the fondant.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:59am
post #5 of 13

Or you can roll your fondant into thin snakes and then hand-roll the letters. I used to do that buy I finally got the tappits!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna, i bought the tappits but, i really not sure how to use them look complicated, since there all linked together, i read the instructions but still not so sure, can you give me any advice? Thanks

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 13

http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm . If you look on this link & click on the video "conversation hearts" it shows Elisa Strauss using them.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 13

This is what I've used. I think they're similar to 'tappits' (haven't seen them so can't say for sure).

It's from Wilton. You press one colour of fondant or gp in the lower part of the mold, clean it up, into the fridge for a bit, then press the second colour in, clean it up, back into the fridge, then use the tool provided to remove it. The letters look very elegant.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=1B1F049F-423B-522D-FF5247A2328CA059&killnav=1

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone for your responses! Now I know... icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna, i bought the tappits but, i really not sure how to use them look complicated, since there all linked together, i read the instructions but still not so sure, can you give me any advice? Thanks

Here is how I use the tappits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfuxL2PqoVA&feature=channel_page

Edna icon_smile.gif

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 13

Not sure if you are a scrapbooker or not, my best new found friend is my Cricut. I use it to cut out shapes and letters. I to was looking for nice lettering and have read almost everything I can put my hands on about the Cricut . I have used fondant and also gumpaste. You can change the size of your letters with the machine. It really is a nice addition to my toys. I know some will say the cartridges are expensive to buy but you can do so much more with them verses premade cut out letters or cookie cutters. Best of Luck

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:52pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

Here is how I use the tappits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfuxL2PqoVA&feature=channel_page

Edna icon_smile.gif

Thanks that was cool, My computer doesnt have a high volume button for the sound so i could barley hear you, how long do you let them dry? and how do you place them on the cakes? and can they be used on buttercream icing? Thanks a million what part of Fl are you in? i go to Fl every May The destin area i love it there.

tonedna Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 13

It really depends on what you are doing. If it is for a square cake, you can let them
dry completely, for a round, you can let them get hard enough so they dont loose shape but soft enough they can take the shape of the round.
Yes, you can put them on the top of buttercream icing. Just moist the back slighlty so they don't slide.
I am in Central Florida.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%