Fondant Color Bleeding Through My Brush Embroidery

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 5:20am by kansaswolf

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:13am
post #1 of 5

I have a request for a red and black wedding cake... They got the idea from the cake in my avatar, but they want red and black in the background with white brush embroidery. To get these dark colors, I usually paint my fondant with a food coloring/vodka mixture. The problem is my brush embroidery tends to soak up some of the black food coloring after it sits for a while and turn kind of greenish... I'd like to avoid that. icon_biggrin.gif

I used buttercream for my brush embroidery before, would using RI make a difference? Is there something else that might be better to use, or is it the fondant coloring I need to rethink? Any tips?

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:43am
post #2 of 5

This is a tough one. You would typically use RI for brush embroidery, but with very dark colors like red & black, you do risk drawing up some of the colors with the water, most certainly if you do it on a painted cake, but even if you do it with just colored fondant.

You could try using buttercream--but not on painted fondant--and using corn syrup to "pull" the embroidery.

You could seal in the base colors with a light spay of edible laquer......

I'd suggest covering a dummy and trying several techniques and letting them set for a day or so to see what happens over time.

HTH
Rae

kansaswolf Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:01am
post #3 of 5

Ooh, I hadn't thought about lacquer... How would I get/make such a thing? And I will for sure be doing some practice cakes for this one!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:15am
post #4 of 5

I use the edible spray lacquer that Nic Lodge gets made by Chef Rubber. You can also buy it direct from Chef Rubber.

http://shopchefrubber.com/product.php?productid=9624&cat=1186&page=1

HTH
Rae

kansaswolf Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:20am
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I'll look into that! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

In the meantime, if anyone else has any other tactics I can try, I'm all ears... More options are a good idea in this case, I think! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%