Help!!! First Timer

Baking By alicialee Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm by alicialee

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 17

so this is my very first time making cookies. I've been making cakes for 3 years now, but I've never tried cookies. I make NFSC today and they came out of the oven fine... I guess. They were a little hard and crunchy, and I even took them out before the edges browned. The worst part about the whole day is when I tried to ice them. I'm making fall leaves, so I tried toba's glace and used a toothpick to blend fall colors in. It was a complete headache! I put a border on my cookies with bc and then filled them in with the toba's glace.... needless to say, I HAD A MESS!!! The glace went all over the place... and the icing STILL isn't dry (and I made them 8 hours ago)

Can someone please please help me!!! I'm doing 250 cookies for a wedding the beggining of october, and I'm starting to think I shouldn't have taken this order!!!

AH!

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 17

I use fondant on my cookies...that would work especially well for fall leaves because you could marble together the different colors, and use a toothpick to add the veins to the leaves.

I'm guessing the reason that your cookies didn't dry is because you put buttercream on as a border...the grease in buttercream will break down royal icing.

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 17

I think you want to use royal icing - thick for the outline and thinner for filling in.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 17

Toba's glace takes, like, overnight to harden fully. And I think your flooding may not have worked because your dam wasn't completely sealed in some places. It's REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT for the dam to coutch the cookie all the way around, and also for there to be no breaks at all.

Also, the bc may not have worked as a dam because basically, you just got it wet with the glace and broke it right down like rinsing a bowl in the sink. Especially if you didn't give it a chance to harden up first.

I would suggest trying royal icing at least for your border next time, or else using all buttercream instead of the glace.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 17

I use antonia74 recipe for Royal icing on all my cookies. Works perfect everytime, you dont even need to make a border, you can just flood and fill in one step. But with that many cookies fondant might be the way to go, you can prep so much ahead of time, marblize your colors, use the same cookie cutter as for the cookie and as each batch comes out of the oven-let cool a minute or two, lay the cut out of fondant right on the warm cookie, and you're done!

emilyc262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyc262 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 17

I am no expert but I experimented with a few icings and found Antonia74's perfect from 1st use (or perfect for me). I use it on NFSC and have found no problem freezing the iced cookies both before and after bagging which might help you with your order. I've tried MMF and it seems like it might be the better choice for an order that large if your customers like the taste of it on cookies. Good luck!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 17

another Antonia74 user here! I also use MMF with royal icing details for some cookies. As said above, I don't think the BC will work as a dam for flooding.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 17

I use Michele Fosters fondant. Wonderful to use. I love it. The recipe is here on CC.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:11am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicialee

so this is my very first time making cookies. I've been making cakes for 3 years now, but I've never tried cookies. I make NFSC today and they came out of the oven fine... I guess. They were a little hard and crunchy, and I even took them out before the edges browned. The worst part about the whole day is when I tried to ice them. I'm making fall leaves, so I tried toba's glace and used a toothpick to blend fall colors in. It was a complete headache! I put a border on my cookies with bc and then filled them in with the toba's glace.... needless to say, I HAD A MESS!!! The glace went all over the place... and the icing STILL isn't dry (and I made them 8 hours ago)

Can someone please please help me!!! I'm doing 250 cookies for a wedding the beggining of october, and I'm starting to think I shouldn't have taken this order!!!

AH!

Do your border with toba's glace! Thicken your glace and then you can piped it... wait a few minutes and then flood your cookie.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:32am
post #10 of 17

Although I really love to work with Antionia's royal, I prefer the taste of Toba's glace. What I have found, though, is that it is ALWAYS too thin for me when I follow the recipe. I agree with pp, thicken it up by adding more ps. Extra thick if you're going to pipe a border. I find that once I thincken it up a bit, I don't really need a border, though. These are fall themed cookies I did with NFSC and Toba's glace:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1287586

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 17

Hi

I too am a newbie to cookies that is. I just yesterday monday started to make some nfsc I usually hand paint my cookies with royal icing I tried toba's glace for the first time I too on the first 2 cookies had a big mess. I then took a litttle of the glace and added powder sugar to it until it look a little thinner than creamy peanut butter consistency. used this to make my border around whole cookie. be sure it does not break. did about 10 outlines and then went back and started to flood. Loved it I finished about 40 cookies in about 1 hour that is about 20 hours less than normal. lol . I was going to use ri to detail but then when I thickend the original glace I dont think I will ever use royal icing again. I will be posting a picture as soon as I add the details today. I cant wait to try the whole fondant cookie covering the possibilities will be endless. icon_biggrin.gif

have a great day.

alicialee Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 17

How much should I thicken the glace??? I used the recipe on here and it calls for 1 lb ps. should I use 2?? The customer clearly stated that she didnt want fondant on here cookies, she hates the taste of it! which was a bummer when I found that out, because I thought that would be easiest! What should I do about my cookies being too crunchy? oh and I didnt think that the NFSC was sweet enough. I thought I needed to add more sugar... I just don't want to throw off the whole recipe!

I think I'm going to try another round of toba's glace tonight, after I thicken it! I might try royal icing too and I'll see which one is easier.

Wish me luck!!

oh and another question... the customer really really wants bc on the cookies, but she said If I couldn't do it, then it was fine. How would I get the icing smooth If I used bc?? and I wouldn't be able to stack the cookies after decorating them with bc... .or can i???

alicialee Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 17

How much should I thicken the glace??? I used the recipe on here and it calls for 1 lb ps. should I use 2?? The customer clearly stated that she didnt want fondant on here cookies, she hates the taste of it! which was a bummer when I found that out, because I thought that would be easiest! What should I do about my cookies being too crunchy? oh and I didnt think that the NFSC was sweet enough. I thought I needed to add more sugar... I just don't want to throw off the whole recipe!

I think I'm going to try another round of toba's glace tonight, after I thicken it! I might try royal icing too and I'll see which one is easier.

Wish me luck!!

oh and another question... the customer really really wants bc on the cookies, but she said If I couldn't do it, then it was fine. How would I get the icing smooth If I used bc?? and I wouldn't be able to stack the cookies after decorating them with bc... .or can i???

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 17

I thicken my glace until I can count up to 10 seconds before it comes together... and for the flooding, I count 5 seconds.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 17

Hey alicialee- You are correct, you can't stack or package cookies iced in buttercream. I wish you could 'cause that's my fav as well. I usually add 1/2 cup more sugar to my cookies. They do spread a bit more, but they taste better. I also add a couple Tbs. cream (Penny's sugar cookies). I think it really helps the taste part. I just used glace for the first time, and I must say, it tastes way better than RI in my opinion. I just used RI for the piping, and glace for the flooding. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #16 of 17

I too like the taste of the glace and the fact that it doest harden like a rock as RI does.
I would pipe with RI (decos and border) because it's easier to control for me. Glace needs a lot more PS in order to get it thick enough to pipe.

I agree with using the fondant for that many cookies. It's definately faster and easier to do than icing. If your customers hate the taste of fondant, there are many here who have had success freezing iced cookies. That way you can start early.

alicialee Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #17 of 17

is there a certain way I should go about freezing them? I would really like to ice them first then throw them in the freezer. That way a day before the wedding I wont be so stressed, and I can just take them out of the freezer and let them thaw! Anyone have any tips for me?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%