Diabetic Fondant???

Baking By CanadianCakin Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm by CanadianCakin

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know if it is possible to make Diabetic safe fondant?!? I have had a request for an RV cake that for a diabetic...if there is a way i can still do it with fondant instead of a diabetic icing I would love that!!

TIA,
Ashley

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 4

I don't think you'll be able to find one, because most of the structure of fondant is sugar.

Could they possibly pull the fondant off before serving? On the diabetic's piece, at least?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 4

For a diabetic, cake is the great unknown as far as ingredients goes. There is no such thing as diabetic fondant. It's just not possible.

On my diabetic meal plan, one small (2oz) cupcake with frosting is 2 carb servings plus 1 fat serving. I get a total of 9 carb servings per day on my current restricted meal plan. If I was going to eat it at all, I'd prolly scrape off the frosting. But it's just not worth it to me. I'd prolly skip the cake. My dietician says I can have whatever I want IF I account for it in my meal plan. But I'd rather have a baked potato or 2 slices of bread for a sandwich than a cupcake. One cupcake would never satisfy me,

Personally, if the cake is to be served to a lot of non-diabetics, and only one diabetic, I'd make a beautiful calorie-filled regular cake and let the diabetic make the decision about what and how much to eat. Suggest peeling the fondant off and scraping the icing off for the diabetic serving.

I should mention that I do have a regular client whose daughter is Type 1 diabetic (on insulin) and they always order a cake for her birthday. She adjusts her carbs and her insulin to allow a small piece of cake. Perhaps this applies to your situation also. Did the diabetic order the cake, or some helpful well-meaning-but-ignorant family member order it?

jmho

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 4

Yea I didn't think it was possible! I was also thinking of doing a sugar free cake then she could peel of the fondant!
Thanks for the info!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%