Why Is My Gumpaste So Sticky?

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 8:39pm by icer101

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 6

I made gumpaste with the mix that you get from michaels and followed the directions carefully, but thinking I did something wrong?? It is SO sticky. If you break off a piece and try to start molding it, it just sticks to my fingers like gum, but if I add powder sugar to it that definitely helps but then leaves a cloudy covering over the piece.

Any ideas what it could be??

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 6

I have used CK's gum paste mix forever--I love it. I got a different brand last time and it was wonky and wet like that. I don't know but I've sure been there.

I like mine to dry fast. I had to let each layer of petals dry for a long time.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

Try using corn starch instead of powdered sugar to get rid of the stickiness.

So far as the cloudiness of the piece... There are couple of different things you can do... One is rub it with a light coat of shortening... The other is, once it is dry... Steam it... Use either a clothes steamer, carefully pass it over the steam from a boiling pot, or even a steam iron... It will need to re-dry for a little while, but I think that you will see a big difference...

Hope that helps,
Pat

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for the replies! I will be attempting my next cake this weekend and will try it out.

I appreciate it!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slparker

I made gumpaste with the mix that you get from michaels and followed the directions carefully, but thinking I did something wrong?? It is SO sticky. If you break off a piece and try to start molding it, it just sticks to my fingers like gum, but if I add powder sugar to it that definitely helps but then leaves a cloudy covering over the piece.

Any ideas what it could be??

Adding more power sugar will make it stickier to work with. Use cornstarch when molding your pieces.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 6

the premade wilton works great for me. i love it . along with making nicholas lodges recipe.. i don,t like the one in the can at all. so next time please try the premade wilton.. you will like it..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%