Newbie - Trouble Making Small Figures/characters

Decorating By WWEfan Updated 8 Sep 2009 , 11:26am by CakeWhizz

WWEfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WWEfan Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 8

Could somebody tell me what is best to use for small figures to go around a cake? I am trying to make peppa pig, george & friends, but not having much success.
I have tried using coloured roll out icing, as it is easy to use and shape, but when it dries out, it seems to go very dry/hard and then the arms/legs and any other small parts will fall off when the figure is picked up.
I am yet to try MMF but was thinking of trying that out soon.
Any advice or ideas would be happily received.
Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

7 replies
wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 8

I use gumpaste or modelling paste to make my figures and i also use cake decorating glue to hold all the peices in place.. U can use tissues are foam to hold the peices in place until it all dries.. I find that MMF does not dry hard enough for the figures to hold their shape unless you add CMC or gum tragacanth to it.. hth icon_smile.gif

WWEfan Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 8

thanks, I am going to try mexican modelling paste next, so hopefully I will have more success with that. Thanks for your reply, you have been helpful icon_smile.gif

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 8

I have not tried that yet but have read some good reviews on it.. Hope it works out well for you..

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 8

I make my figures in 50/50 mmf and gum paste, and it works just fine. icon_biggrin.gif

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 10:58am
post #6 of 8

I use fondant with tylose powder mixed in.

It doesn't matter if they go hard, they're easier to handle and most people like to keep them as a momento anyway.

To join a limb onto the body I break a toothpick in half and push that into the body first, then glue both peices and push the limb onto the toothpick.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

WWEfan Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:15am
post #7 of 8

Thank you to everyone that has replied, you have all given me help and new ideas.. it really is appreciated.. now to the kitchen icon_smile.gif tyvm

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 11:26am
post #8 of 8

Buying a good book on modelling might also help. I recommend Maisie Parrish or Lindy Smith. Try typing their names into Google or Amazon.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%