Can I Use Damp Rags As Bake-Even Strips?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm by BeatriceTheCakeDecorator

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hey all! Can I use damp rags (an old towel cut into strips) as bake even strips or am I going to start a fire? Please let me know soon as I'm going to try it in a few minutes. Thanks!

6 replies
vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 7

HI

You can..I do.... ! I got this one from another CC'er !!

If you don't have bake even strips you can use old towels. Tear them in strips, soak in water, squeeze out, fold to width to fit height of pan and wrap around outside edge of pan and secure with binder clip.

HTH

Vicki

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 7

Just like Vicki says.

I do it all the time. I learned it from Jennifer Dontz.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 7

I've heard about some catching on fire but I guess if you wet them well you won't have any problems, good luck!

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 7

I use a towel all the time too.. I have never had a fire.. but i do keep an eye on it once the moisture goes out of the towel.. icon_biggrin.gif

vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 7

I have not had a problem..the max time I have a cake in the oven is 55 min at 325 and I keep an eye on it. (mostly to make sure the towel does does not fall off) I have used "heavy" duty stick pins instead of the clips.

Unless you are using it to bake your Turkey icon_eek.gif (5 hours in the oven) I just let it go...

Vicki

BeatriceTheCakeDecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeatriceTheCakeDecorator Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 7

I used strips of towels before I got the bake-even-strips and I prefer the towels. The only thing I like about the bake-even-strips is that it has those cute little t-pins to secure them in place. I usually use the black and silver paper holders (a massive paper clip). I use extremely cold water when I wet the strips and it works like a charm. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%